NFL Free Agent Tracker:
| FA Grades
| FA Rumors
2017 NFL Free Agency:
Star rating is out of five. Age listing as of Sept. 1, 2017.
Follow me @walterfootball
NFL Free Agent Tracker:
Kirk Cousins, QB, Redskins. Age: 29.
Franchised by Redskins
Kirk Cousins is very difficult to grade. Sometimes he plays like a 4.5-star player; over the past two years, he has thrown for 54 touchdowns and just 23 interceptions, completing 68 percent of his passes in the process. However, Cousins occasionally performs like a street free agent, melting down at the worst times possible. The Redskins have a very difficult decision to make regarding his contract, and I have to say that I'm happy I'm not in their shoes.
Tony Romo, QB, Cowboys. Age: 37.
Tony Romo has announced his retirement - check out the Disaster Grades page for more - but I'm still listing him here in case he changes his mind. Romo would be a higher-rated player if he could stay healthy, but he hasn't been able to do that. He has played just two full games the past two years, and he has proven to be very brittle. That said, Romo looked great in his lone appearance last year, and if he can remain on the field, he can be a top-10 NFL quarterback. Signing him comes with great risk, but with great reward as well.
Jay Cutler, QB, Bears. Age: 34.
Signed with Dolphins
It's difficult to rate Jay Cutler, as he has all the talent in the world, but suffers from severe mood swings. When Cutler is focused, he's great, but he sometimes appears to be lethargic and disinterested, likely stemming from his diabetes. Still, Cutler has thrown 53 touchdowns to 34 interceptions the past two years, and he can still be a capable starter if a coaching staff knows how to deal with his condition.
Brian Hoyer, QB, 49ers. Age: 31.
Signed with Patriots
Brian Hoyer got a lot of flak for what happened in Houston, but the fact remains that he led a team to the playoffs. In six starts in 2016, Hoyer threw six touchdowns to zero interceptions and also completed 67 percent of his passes. He didn't pan out as a starter in San Francisco, but he remains a very strong backup that the Patriots could potentially sign.
Mike Glennon, QB, Buccaneers. Age: 27.
Signed with Bears (3 years, $45 million)
Adam Schefter reported that Mike Glennon could receive $13-$15 million per year on his next contract, which is just insane. Glennon has a career completion percentage of 59.4 and a YPA of 6.5. Neither are good marks. He's thrown 30 touchdowns compared to only 15 interceptions, but as we've seen from Nick Foles' 27:2 2013 campaign, those sorts of figures can be fluky.
Colin Kaepernick, QB, 49ers. Age: 29.
Colin Kaepernick sparked some controversy last year, but he has announced that he will stand for the National Anthem in 2017. That's fine, but his football skills are the big problem. Kaepernick has declined every single year since 2013, as he has refused to put the appropriate amount of work into film study. Some will point to his 16:4 touchdown-to-interception ratio, but that echoes Nick Foles' 27:2 ratio from 2013, as it was a complete farce because most of Kaepernick's production came in garbage time of blowouts. He maintained a sub-60 completion percentage, which is more of an indication of how he really played. Kaepernick still has good potential, but no team should consider him to be a starter in 2017. At most, he's a decent backup and a potential reclamation project.
Robert Griffin, QB, Browns. Age: 27.
Ian Rapoport reported that Robert Griffin will be released, so I'm adding him to the rankings. Griffin obviously has great natural ability, as he was a former No. 2 overall draft pick, but he's an injury-prone quarterback who doesn't put any work into studying film.
Brock Osweiler, QB, Browns. Age: 26.
Signed with Broncos
The Browns received a second-round pick just to pay Brock Osweiler $16 million to stay off the roster. That's how disappointing he was. The writing was on the wall when John Elway didn't bother re-signing him. Osweiler has major accuracy woes, and there are self-entitlement issues as well.
Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB, Jets. Age: 34.
Signed with Buccaneers
Ryan Fitzpatrick held out for lots of money last summer, and it backfired, as he never got into a rhythm with his teammates and struggled the entire year as a result. Fitzpatrick, however, was never as good as played in 2015, but he can still be a solid backup.
Geno Smith, QB, Jets. Age: 26.
Signed with Giants
Geno Smith was once a second-round pick with promise, but he's been hurt by inaccuracy and an inability to grasp the mental part of the game. He still has potential, which is why I'm giving him two stars, but I don't have much hope for him.
- Nick Foles, QB, Chiefs. Age: 28. -- Signed with Eagles
- Matt Barkley, QB, 49ers. Age: 26.
- Ryan Mallett, QB, Ravens. Age: 29. -- Re-signed with Ravens
- Case Keenum, QB, Rams. Age: 29. -- Signed with Vikings
- Christian Ponder, QB, 49ers. Age: 29.
- Josh Johnson, QB, Texans. Age: 31.
- Blaine Gabbert, QB, 49ers. Age: 27. -- Signed with Cardinals
- Shaun Hill, QB, Vikings. Age: 37.
- Matt Schaub, QB, Falcons. Age: 36. -- Re-signed with Falcons
- Luke McCown, QB, Cowboys. Age: 36.
- Vince Young, QB, None. Age: 34.
- Dan Orlovsky, QB, Lions. Age: 34. -- Signed with Rams
- Johnny Manziel, QB, Browns. Age: 24.
- Josh McCown, QB, Browns. Age: 38. -- Signed with Jets (1 year, $6 million)
- Joe Webb, QB, Panthers. Age: 30.
- Matt McGloin, QB, Texans. Age: 27.
- Josh Freeman, QB, Colts. Age: 29.
- Chase Daniel, QB, Eagles. Age: 30. -- Signed with Saints
- Thad Lewis, QB, Ravens. Age: 29.
- Brandon Weeden, QB, Texans. Age: 33. -- Signed with Titans
- Landry Jones, QB, Steelers. Age: 28. -- Signed with Texans
- T.J. Yates, QB, Dolphins. Age: 30. -- Signed with Bills
- E.J. Manuel, QB, Bills. Age: 27. -- Signed with Raiders
- Kellen Moore, QB, Cowboys. Age: 28.
- Mark Sanchez, QB, Cowboys. Age: 30. -- Signed with Bears
- Ryan Nassib, QB, Giants. Age: 27. -- Signed with Jaguars
- Matt Cassel, QB, Titans. Age: 35. -- Re-signed with Titans
- Kellen Clemens, QB, Chargers. Age: 34.
- David Fales (RFA), QB, Bears. Age: 26. -- Signed with Dolphins
- Brad Sorensen, QB, Vikings. Age: 29.
- Ryan Lindley, QB, Colts. Age: 28.
| FA Grades
| FA Rumors
NFL Picks - Jan. 16
2021 NFL Mock Draft - Jan. 13
Fantasy Football Rankings - Jan. 11
2022 NFL Mock Draft - Nov. 15
NFL Power Rankings - Nov. 14
2020 College Football Recruiting Rankings - April 14
2020 NBA Mock Draft - Sept. 27