2013 NFL Free Agent Positions:
| FA Grades
2013 NFL Free Agency:
Star rating is out of five. Age listing as of Sept. 1, 2013.
Follow me @walterfootball
2013 NFL Free Agent Positions:
Henry Melton, DT, Bears. Age: 26.
Re-signed with Bears (1 year, $8.5 million)
Henry Melton is one of the top interior pass-rushers in all of football. He could stand to be better against the run, but he deserves a big contract after getting to the quarterback more effectively than Julius Peppers.
Randy Starks, DT, Dolphins. Age: 29.
Re-signed with Dolphins (1 year, $8.5 million)
Randy Starks is a talented interior pass-rusher. He struggled a bit down the stretch, but that could have been the result of personal issues he dealt with late in the year.
Richard Seymour, DT, Raiders. Age: 33.
Richard Seymour has been tremendous over the years, including the first half of this past season. Unfortunately, he missed the final eight games of his 2012 campaign because of a hamstring injury. He'll be 34 in October, so it's fair to wonder if his body is breaking down.
Desmond Bryant, DT, Raiders. Age: 27.
Signed with Browns (5 years, $34 million)
Desmond Bryant served as a solid interior pass-rusher after Richard Seymour was lost for the year. Excluding Lamarr Houston, no other Raider defensive lineman was better at applying pressure on the quarterback, though that's not saying much.
Jason Jones, DT, Seahawks. Age: 27.
Signed with Lions
Jason Jones is a quality interior pass-rusher who was lost late in the year to a knee injury.
Sammie Lee Hill, DT, Lions. Age: 26.
Signed with Titans (3 years, $11.4 million)
Sammie Lee Hill could start for some teams, as he does a decent job of pressuring the quarterback. He just hasn't had much of a chance in Detroit because he's been behind Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley and Corey Williams on the depth chart.
Roy Miller, DT, Buccaneers. Age: 26.
Signed with Jaguars
Roy Miller doesn't offer anything as a pass-rusher, but he's a primary reason why the Buccaneers had one of the league's top run defenses in 2012.
Arthur Jones (RFA), DE/DT, Ravens. Age: 27.
Tendered by Ravens (original)
Arthur Jones broke into the starting lineup in the middle of the season and performed well, stopping the run effectively and getting to the quarterback on occasion.
Mike DeVito, DE/DT, Jets. Age: 29.
Signed with Chiefs
Mike DeVito has been a key run-defender in New York's three-man front.
Steve McLendon (RFA), NT, Steelers. Age: 27.
Re-signed with Steelers (3 years)
Steve McClendon looks like a solid replacement for Casey Hampton. He performed well in the playoffs against the Broncos in January 2012, and that carried over into this season when he saw the field briefly.
Chris Canty, DE/DT, Giants. Age: 30.
Signed with Ravens
Chris Canty served as a solid interior pass-rusher prior to 2012, but was ineffective last year because of a nagging knee injury. Perhaps he'll be able to rebound next season, but he'll be 31 in November, so his best days are behind him. He can play in both the 4-3 and 3-4.
Cullen Jenkins, DE/DT, Eagles. Age: 32.
Signed with Giants (3 years, $8 million)
Cullen Jenkins just turned 32, but he did a good job of being an interior pass-rusher this past season. He struggled a bit in run support though.
Glenn Dorsey, DT, Chiefs. Age: 28.
Signed with 49ers
Glenn Dorsey is a bust as the fifth-overall selection in 2008. He can stop the run when healthy, so he's serviceable in that regard. I'd also like to see what he can do in a 4-3, a system more suited toward his strengths.
Ropati Pitoitua (RFA), DE/DT, Chiefs. Age: 28.
Signed with Titans
Ropati Pitoitua has served as a solid rotational defensive lineman for the Chiefs. He's solid in run support and tallied two sacks in a game against the Chargers.
Terrance Knighton, NT, Jaguars. Age: 27.
Signed with Broncos (2 years)
It's rare to see a 330-pound nose tackle struggle in run support, but that's why Terrance Knighton was benched in favor of C.J. Mosley back in October. He still played an ample amount though.
Sedrick Ellis, DT, Saints. Age: 28.
Signed with Bears
Sedrick Ellis has been an enormous bust for the Saints as the No. 7 pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. There's still time for him to turn his career around though.
Alan Branch, DT, Seahawks. Age: 28.
Signed with Bills (1 year, $3 million)
Alan Branch is sort of a jack-of-all-trades defensive tackle. He has no glaring weaknesses and is at his best when stopping the run.
Ricky Jean-Francois, DE/DT, 49ers. Age: 26.
Signed with Colts (4 years, $22 million)
Ricky Jean-Francois handled himself well when inserted into the lineup in the wake of Justin Smith's injury. He's not much of a pass-rusher, but he contained the run well.
C.J. Mosley, DT, Jaguars. Age: 30.
Signed with Lions
C.J. Mosley was released by the Jaguars because he was owed about $2.5 million and didn't fit Gus Bradley's system. Mosley is a stout run-defender, but doesn't offer any pass-rushing ability.
Aubrayo Franklin, NT, Chargers. Age: 33.
Signed with Colts
Aubrayo Franklin will be 33 in August, but he can still get the job done as a run-stuffer.
Casey Hampton, NT, Steelers. Age: 35.
Casey Hampton is still a quality run-stuffer despite his age (36 on Sept. 3).
Sione Pouha, NT, Jets. Age: 34.
Sione Pouha is still OK in run support, but given that he just turned 34, it's fair to wonder how much longer he'll be effective.
Derek Landri, DT, Eagles. Age: 29.
Signed with Buccaneers (2 years, $3.25 million)
Derek Landri is a solid rotational defensive tackle who can put pressure on the quarterback occasionally.
Corey Williams, DT, Lions. Age: 33.
Corey Williams should still be able to be a solid rotational lineman, but his best days are behind him. He played in only seven games in 2012.
Dwan Edwards, DT, Panthers. Age: 32.
Re-signed with Panthers
Dwan Edwards can do a decent job of getting to the quarterback on occasion, but he has to be limited to passing downs because he gets gashed against the run.
SenDerrick Marks, DT, Titans. Age: 26.
Signed with Jaguars (1 year)
SenDerrick Marks isn't particularly good at anything, but he's not really bad at anything either. He's a serviceable spot starter.
- Marcus Spears, DE/DT, Cowboys. Age: 30. -- Signed with Ravens (2 years)
- Kevin Vickerson, DT, Broncos. Age: 30. -- Re-signed with Broncos (2 years)
- Shaun Cody, NT, Texans. Age: 30.
- Isaac Sopoaga, NT, 49ers. Age: 31. -- Signed with Eagles
- Nate Collins (RFA), DT, Bears. Age: 25. -- Re-signed with Bears
- Antonio Johnson, DT, Colts. Age: 28.
- Clinton McDonald (RFA), DT, Seahawks. Age: 26.
- Kedric Golston, DE/DT, Redskins. Age: 30. -- Re-signed with Redskins (3 years)
- Vance Walker, DT, Falcons. Age: 26. -- Signed with Raiders
- Tommy Kelly, DT, Raiders. Age: 32. -- Signed with Patriots (2 years)
- Mike Patterson, DT, Eagles. Age: 30. -- Signed with Giants
- Justin Bannan, DT, Broncos. Age: 34.
- Antonio Garay, NT, Chargers. Age: 33. -- Signed with Jets
- Kenyon Coleman, DE/DT, Cowboys. Age: 34. -- Signed with Saints
- Rocky Bernard, DT, Giants. Age: 34.
- Spencer Johnson, DT, Bills. Age: 31.
- Tony McDaniel, DT, Dolphins. Age: 28. -- Signed with Seahawks
- Leger Douzable, DT, Titans. Age: 28.
- Fili Moala, DT, Colts. Age: 28. -- Re-signed with Colts (1 year)
- Pat Sims, DT, Bengals. Age: 27. -- Signed with Raiders
- Chris Baker (RFA), NT, Redskins. Age: 25. -- Tendered by Redskins (original)
- Vaughn Martin, DT, Chargers. Age: 27. -- Signed with Dolphins
- Ryan McBean, DT, Ravens. Age: 29.
- Corvey Irvin (RFA), DT, Buccaneers. Age: 28.
- Maake Kemoeatu, NT, Ravens. Age: 34.
- Andre Neblett (RFA), DT, Panthers. Age: 25. -- Signed with Buccaneers
- Brian Schaefering, DE/DT, Cowboys. Age: 30.
- Ty Warren, DT, Broncos. Age: 32.
- Amobi Okoye, DT, Bears. Age: 26.
- Nick Eason, DE/DT, Cardinals. Age: 33.
- Shaun Smith, NT, Chiefs. Age: 32.
- Andre Fluellen, DT, Lions. Age: 28. -- Signed with Bears
- Trevor Laws, DT, Rams. Age: 28.
- Shaun Rogers, DT, Giants. Age: 34. -- Re-signed with Giants
- Matt Toeaina, DT, Bears. Age: 28.
- Ron Edwards, DT, Panthers. Age: 34.
- Vonnie Holliday, DE/DT, Cardinals. Age: 37.
| FA Grades
2022 NFL Mock Draft - May 6
NFL Power Rankings - April 4
NFL Picks - Feb. 8
Fantasy Football Rankings - Jan. 11