2013 NFL Free Agent Positions:
| FA Grades
2013 NFL Free Agency:
Star rating is out of five. Age listing as of Sept. 1, 2013.
Follow me @walterfootball
2013 NFL Free Agent Positions:
Jairus Byrd, S, Bills. Age: 26.
Franchised by Bills
Jairus Byrd is one of the top safeties in football. He shuts everything down in coverage - he was responsible for no touchdowns all year - and he constantly comes up with turnovers. He's also decent in run support and is seldom penalized. He deserves a massive contact.
Dashon Goldson, S, 49ers. Age: 28.
Signed with Buccaneers (5 years)
Dashon Goldson had some issues in coverage back in 2011, but did what he needed to do to correct them this past season. Goldson made the Pro Bowl for good reason.
Louis Delmas, S, Lions. Age: 26.
Re-signed with Lions (2 years)
Louis Delmas is one of the most talented safeties in the NFL, but he just can't stay healthy. He's missed 13 games in the past two seasons.
Glover Quin, S, Texans. Age: 27.
Signed with Lions
A converted cornerback, Glover Quin has starred in his new safety role over the past couple of years. He was particularly sound in 2012, so he deserves a nice contract.
William Moore, S, Falcons. Age: 28.
Re-signed with Falcons (5 years, $30 million)
William Moore missed the final quarter of the season with a hamstring injury, but he performed extremely well in all facets otherwise.
Kerry Rhodes, S, Cardinals. Age: 31.
Kerry Rhodes has had an up-and-down career, and it was definitely up last year. Rhodes was great in 2012 in all facets of the game. Unfortunately for him, he'll be 31 in August, so his best days are behind him.
Kenny Phillips, S, Giants. Age: 26.
Signed with Eagles
Kenny Phillips is one of the better safeties when healthy, but he missed most of 2012 with a knee injury.
Ed Reed, S, Ravens. Age: 34.
Signed with Texans (2 years)
Ed Reed will turn 35 in September, but he still played at a high level for the Ravens this past season despite battling an injury.
Stevie Brown (RFA), S, Giants. Age: 26.
Re-signed with Giants (1 year, $2 million)
Stevie Brown was impressive in relief of an injured Kenny Phillips, picking off eight passes. His one weakness is run support.
LaRon Landry, S, Jets. Age: 28.
Signed with Colts (4 years)
No one wanted LaRon Landry last offseason. He was considered an injury waiting to happen. Well, he proved everyone wrong with a solid 2012 campaign. He should still be considered fragile, but he has definitely earned himself a nice contract.
Quintin Mikell, S, Rams. Age: 32.
Quintin Mikell will be 33 in mid-September, but he's still a very solid safety. He was released because he was due $6 million. He can still start.
Gerald Sensabaugh, S, Cowboys. Age: 30.
Cutting Gerald Sensabugh saved the Cowboys just $1.4 million in cap space, so this was a strange move. Sensabaugh isn't very good in run support, but he's pretty solid in coverage. He can be a good starter for some team, though he'll have to fight through a very competitive free-agent safety class.
Bernard Pollard, S, Ravens. Age: 28.
Signed with Titans (1 year)
Bernard Pollard isn't particularly good in coverage, but he's awesome in run support and has a knack for knocking out opposing players - especially if they happen to be New England Patriots.
Charles Woodson, S/CB, Packers. Age: 36.
Signed with Raiders (1 year)
Charles Woodson was released because of financial reasons, so it's not like the Packers don't think he can't play anymore. While Woodson isn't nearly the elite defensive back he used to be, he can still get the job done as a soon-to-be 37-year-old (in October).
George Wilson, S, Bills. Age: 32.
Signed with Titans
George Wilson has been an underrated safety for the Bills over the years. He played well this past season, but was deemed expendable when he suffered a neck injury and 2011 fourth-rounder Da'Norris Searcy played well in his place.
Chris Clemons, S, Dolphins. Age: 27.
Re-signed with Dolphins (1 year)
Chris Clemons proved to be a quality starting safety for the Dolphins this past year. He was penalized only twice, though he had trouble tackling on occasion.
Patrick Chung, S, Patriots. Age: 26.
Signed with Eagles (3 years)
Patrick Chung missed several weeks in 2012 with multiple injuries, but he performed well when he was healthy, particularly in run support.
Michael Huff, S, Raiders. Age: 30.
Signed with Ravens
Michael Huff is a cap casualty; the Raiders couldn't afford his $4 million salary in 2013. Huff is still a quality safety who is versatile enough to play cornerback effectively.
Nate Clements, S/CB, Bengals. Age: 33.
Nate Clements, who turned 33 in December, had to play safety this past year because Taylor Mays was such a liability in coverage. He'll probably have to stay at safety given his declining skills.
Ronde Barber, S, Buccaneers. Age: 38.
It's remarkable that Ronde Barber was able to perform on such a high level this past season as a 37-year-old. He could retire though.
Chris Crocker, S, Bengals. Age: 33.
Chris Crocker is still an OK starting safety, but he'll be 33 in March. His best days are behind him.
Adrian Wilson, S, Cardinals. Age: 33.
Signed with Patriots
Adrian Wilson is a former Pro Bowler, but he didn't play very well in 2012. In fact, he was demoted out of nickel packages. His starting days could be over.
Colt Anderson (RFA), S, Eagles. Age: 27.
Colt Anderson is not very physically gifted, but he's an instinctive safety who performed well for the Eagles down the stretch. He's also great on special teams.
Corey Lynch, S, Chargers. Age: 28.
Corey Lynch is an awesome special-teamer who performed well as a starting safety down the stretch in place of an injured Atari Bigby.
Yeremiah Bell, S, Jets. Age: 35.
Signed with Cardinals
Yeremiah Bell had a surprisingly decent year for the Jets, but he'll be 35 in March.
Dawan Landry, S, Jaguars. Age: 30.
Signed with Jets
Dawan Landry is a pretty mediocre safety who is decent in run support. He's not a massive liability, but he probably shouldn't be a starter.
- Jamarca Sanford, S, Vikings. Age: 28. -- Re-signed with Vikings (2 years)
- Tom Zbikowski, S, Colts. Age: 28. -- Signed with Bears (1 year)
- Will Allen, S, Steelers. Age: 31. -- Signed with Cowboys
- Amari Spievey (RFA), S, Lions. Age: 25. -- Re-signed with Lions (1 year)
- Husain Abdullah, S, Vikings. Age: 28. -- Signed with Chiefs
- Madieu Williams, S, Redskins. Age: 31.
- Usama Young, S, Browns. Age: 28. -- Signed with Raiders
- Jordan Babineaux, S, Titans. Age: 31.
- Quintin Demps, S, Texans. Age: 28.
- Eric Frampton, S, Cowboys. Age: 29.
- Phillip Adams (RFA), S, Raiders. Age: 25. -- Re-signed with Raiders
- Craig Dahl, S, Rams. Age: 28. -- Signed with 49ers (3 years)
- Abram Elam, FS, Chiefs. Age: 31.
- Sherrod Martin, S, Panthers. Age: 28.
- Atari Bigby, S, Chargers. Age: 31.
- Eric Smith, S, Jets. Age: 30.
- James Ihedigbo, S, Ravens. Age: 29. -- Re-signed with Ravens (1 year)
- Ryan Mundy, S, Steelers. Age: 28. -- Signed with Giants
- Rashad Johnson, S, Cardinals. Age: 27. -- Re-signed with Cardinals (3 years)
- Michael Mitchell, S, Raiders. Age: 26. -- Re-signed with Panthers
- Bryan Scott, S/LB, Bills. Age: 32. -- Re-signed with Bills
- Danny McCray (RFA), S, Cowboys. Age: 25. -- Tendered by Cowboys
- Matt Giordano, S, Raiders. Age: 30.
- James Sanders, S, Cardinals. Age: 28.
- Charlie Peprah, S, Cowboys. Age: 30.
- Jim Leonhard, S, Broncos. Age: 30. -- Signed with Saints
- Chris Hope, S, Falcons. Age: 32.
- Ray Ventrone, S/ST, Browns. Age: 30.
- Darian Stewart (RFA), S, Rams. Age: 25.
- Tanard Jackson, S, Redskins. Age: 28.
- Darcel McBath (RFA), S, 49ers. Age: 27. -- Re-signed with 49ers
- Sean Considine, S, Ravens. Age: 30.
- Tyrone Culver, S, Dolphins. Age: 30.
- Travis Daniels, FS, Chiefs. Age: 30.
- David Bruton, S, Broncos. Age: 26. -- Re-signed with Broncos (3 years)
- Josh Barrett, S, Patriots. Age: 28.
- Jeromy Miles (RFA), S, Bengals. Age: 26. -- Tendered by Bengals
- Chris Maragos (RFA), S, Seahawks. Age: 26.
- Derrick Martin, S, Patriots. Age: 28.
- Jonathon Amaya (RFA), S, Dolphins. Age: 24. -- Signed with Cardinals
| FA Grades
NFL Picks - Oct. 6
2016 NFL Mock Draft - Sept. 30
Fantasy Football Rankings - Sept. 10
2016 NBA Mock Draft - Aug. 25
2017 NFL Mock Draft - July 29
2016 NBA Mock Draft - May 7
NFL Free Agents