2014 NFL Offseason: New York Giants
Draft Grades, Season Previews, Team Needs, Free Agents
New York Giants (Last Year: 7-9)
The Giants got off to a dreadful start to begin the season, losing their first six games. They played well at the end, winning seven of their final 10 contests, but they simply had too many defeats to be a factor in the NFC East race. Still, this hot finish could carry over into 2014.
- Left Tackle: Will Beatty broke his leg in the season finale, but he had been struggling all year. First-round rookie Justin Pugh, meanwhile, might be better off inside. The Giants could spend their first-round choice on a new blind-side protector, shifting Beatty to right tackle (when healthy) and moving Pugh to guard. Signed Geoff Schwartz and Charles Brown
- Defensive End: Justin Tuck was New York's most consistent pass-rusher in 2013, and that's saying something because he barely did anything for the first half of the year. Tuck will be a free agent, so if he leaves, the front office will have to find someone to start on the other side of Jason Pierre-Paul. There should be quality defensive ends available at No. 12 overall this May. Signed Robert Ayers
- Two Outside Linebackers: The Giants need to upgrade both Spencer Paysinger and Jacquian Williams. Neither is particularly awful, but there's definitely room for improvement.
- Running Back: The Giants once looked stacked at running back, but David Wilson suffered a major injury that could keep him out in 2014, while the fumble-prone Andre Brown happens to be a free agent. A second-day choice could be used on a new back. Signed Rashad Jennings
- Defensive Tackle: Linval Joseph is another New York defensive lineman who will be hitting the free-agent market. He's a force up front, so he'll be missed if he moves on elsewhere.
- Middle Linebacker: Jon Beason will likely be re-signed even though he struggled in coverage. He just happened to be a major upgrade over what the Giants had beforehand. Re-signed Jon Beason; signed Jameel McClain
- Center: New York needs a more reliable center than David Baas, who has missed 18 games in three years with the Giants.
- Cornerback Depth: The Giants have a couple of cornerbacks with expiring contracts. Some depth will need to be added in addition to a new starter. Signed Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Walter Thurmond; re-signed Trumaine McBride
- Tight End: Brandon Myers was a bust as a free-agent signing. He's a free agent anyway, so New York will want to bring in a new intermediate target for Eli Manning.
- Kicker: New York currently doesn't have a kicker on its roster, as Josh Brown's contract expired.
- Wide Receiver Depth: Hakeem Nicks probably won't be back next year. The Giants will have a decent trio in Victor Cruz, Rueben Randle and Jerrel Jernigan, but they'll need some depth at the position. Signed Mario Manningham
Follow me @walterfootball for updates.
2014 NFL Free Agent Signings:
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Broncos. Age: 28.
Signed with Giants (5 years)
"DRC" stands for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, but it could just as easily mean "Doesn't Really Care." The former Cardinal and Eagle had a stellar 2013 campaign, but he plays hard only when he feels like it. He can't be counted on to give maximum effort, though he's a stud when he actually does.
Walter Thurmond III, CB, Seahawks. Age: 27.
Signed with Giants (1 year, $3.5 million)
Walter Thurmond had a quality 2013 campaign, minus a four-game suspension for marijuana. Thurmond would be higher on this list, but he's one more violation away from being gone for the season.
Geoff Schwartz, G, Chiefs. Age: 28.
Signed with Giants
Geoff Schwartz started in the second half of the season and was pretty dominant. He appears to be over a hip injury that knocked him out for the entire 2011 season.
John Jerry, G, Dolphins. Age: 28.
Signed with Giants
John Jerry is not a good fit for Miami's blocking scheme, so he should head elsewhere.
Rashad Jennings, RB, Raiders. Age: 29.
Signed with Giants
Rashad Jennings was given a chance to prove himself when Maurice Jones-Drew suffered an injury in 2012, but struggled mightily. That's why it was so surprising that he thrived with the Raiders, outplaying Darren McFadden by a wide margin.
Robert Ayers, DE, Broncos. Age: 28.
Signed with Giants (2 years)
Robert Ayers is an inconsistent pass-rusher, but he also happens to be a strong run defender.
Mario Manningham, WR, 49ers. Age: 28.
Signed with Giants (1 year)
Mario Manningham has essentially lost two seasons because he hasn't been able to stay healthy. Perhaps he'll remain on the field going forward, but he's a risky signing.
Josh Freeman, QB, Vikings. Age: 26.
Signed with Giants
Josh Freeman can be a decent starting quarterback if he ever gets his act clean up and is once again paired with a quarterback guru (like he was with Greg Olson). Unfortunately, Freeman is just a project right now.
- Charles Brown, OT, Saints. Age: 27. -- Signed with Giants
- Jameel McClain, ILB, Ravens. Age: 29. -- Signed with Giants
- Quintin Demps, S, Chiefs. Age: 29. -- Signed with Giants
- Zackary Bowman, CB, Bears. Age: 29. -- Signed with Giants
New York Giants Free Agents:
Salary Cap: TBA.
Linval Joseph, DT, Giants. Age: 25.
Signed with Vikings (5 years, $31.5 million)
Linval Joseph is a monstrous run-stuffer who can get to the quarterback quite well for a 325-pound defensive tackle. He'll only be 26 in October.
Justin Tuck, DE, Giants. Age: 31.
Signed with Raiders (2 years, $11 million)
Justin Tuck was always strong against the run, but did nothing in terms of rushing the quarterback in 2013 - until he racked up a whopping four sacks against the Redskins. He put consistent pressure on the quarterback after that.
Stevie Brown, S, Giants. Age: 27.
Re-signed with Giants
Stevie Brown had an excellent 2012 campaign, but missed all of 2013 with a torn ACL. He'd have a higher ranking if he weren't coming off that knee injury.
Andre Brown, RB, Giants. Age: 27.
Signed with Texans (1 year)
Andre Brown is a strong runner who happens to be a solid pass-catcher. He also blocks well. Unfortunately, he had a fumbling problem down the stretch.
Henry Hynoski, FB, Giants. Age: 25.
Re-signed with Giants (1 year, $1 million)
Henry Hynoski is a strong blocker, but missed 13 games in 2013 with a shoulder injury.
Kevin Boothe, G, Giants. Age: 31.
Signed with Raiders
Kevin Boothe isn't a spectacular starter, but he's not bad either. His best attribute is his versatility; he can play all three positions in the interior.
Ryan Mundy, S, Giants. Age: 29.
Signed with Bears (2 years)
Ryan Mundy has done well filling in for injured players at the safety position. He's strong against the run, but is somewhat weak in coverage.
Hakeem Nicks, WR, Giants. Age: 26.
Signed with Colts (1 year)
Hakeem Nicks, who has never played a full 16-game season, has seen his production slip because of injuries and lethargy. He has tons of talent, but time is running out for him to put it together.
Brandon Myers, TE, Giants. Age: 28.
Signed with Buccaneers (2 years, $4.25 million)
Brandon Myers caught 79 passes in 2012, but was a major disappointment with the Giants. He and Eli Manning just never clicked.
Jon Beason, ILB, Giants. Age: 29.
Re-signed with Giants
Injuries have sapped Jon Beason's ability to cover, but he's still strong against the run. He's also a good leader, but he can't seem to stay healthy.
Josh Brown, K, Giants. Age: 35.
Josh Brown missed just two field goals in 2013, though he didn't attempt any tries from beyond 50.
Terrell Thomas, CB, Giants. Age: 29.
Terrell Thomas missed all of 2011 and 2012 with knee injuries. He finally returned this season. He wasn't very good, but he should be stronger in 2014 because he'll be two years removed from ACL surgery.
David Baas, C/G, Giants. Age: 32.
David Baas could be a solid backup because of his ability to play both guard and center. However, this would require him to stay healthy. Baas played just three games in 2013 and missed five more in 2011. He'll be 33 in September.
Aaron Ross, CB, Giants. Age: 31.
Aaron Ross played just four games in 2013 because of a back injury.
- Spencer Paysinger (RFA), OLB, Giants. Age: 26. -- Tendered by Giants
- Mike Patterson, DT, Giants. Age: 31. -- Re-signed with Giants
- Trumaine McBride, CB, Giants. Age: 28. -- Re-signed with Giants (2 years, $3.1 million)
- Bear Pascoe, TE, Giants. Age: 28.
- Mark Herzlich (RFA), ILB, Giants. Age: 27. -- Re-signed with Giants
- Keith Rivers, OLB, Giants. Age: 28. -- Signed with Bills (2 years, $5 million)
- David Dihel, OT, Giants. Age: 33.
- Louis Murphy, WR, Giants. Age: 27. -- Signed with Buccaneers
- Jim Cordle (RFA), C, Giants. Age: 27.
- Shaun Rogers, DT, Giants. Age: 35.
- Curtis Painter, QB, Giants. Age: 29. -- Re-signed with Giants
NFL Free Agent Tracker:
QB | RB | FB | WR | TE | OT | G | C | DE | DT | OLB | ILB | CB | S | K/P | FA Grades | FA Rumors
2014 NFL Mock Draft - April 23
2014 NBA Mock Draft - April 23
NFL Free Agents - April 22
2015 NFL Mock Draft - April 17
Fantasy Football Rankings - March 28
NFL Picks - Feb. 2
© 1999-2013 Walter Cherepinsky : all rights reserved
2 5 9