2014 NFL Offseason: Cleveland Browns
Draft Grades, Season Previews, Team Needs, Free Agents
Cleveland Browns (Last Year: 4-12)
The Browns actually had hope for a change. Brian Hoyer had been playing very well, but in typical Cleveland fashion, he was lost for the season with an injury. Now, it seems as though the Browns are in complete disarray. They fired their head coach after one year, as they had their sights set on Josh McDaniels, only to see McDaniels turn them down. It's stuff that Cleveland fans are used to, but this can all change if the team drafts a franchise quarterback at No. 4 overall.
- New Ownership: What the hell are the Browns doing? Seriously. They brought in a CEO who hired a general manager, who then hired a coach and fired him after one year. The general manager chose a new coach, but then was fired after one year himself. The CEO was also dismissed. I guess this is what happens when a clueless owner with a dubious legal history is allowed to run the organization. The NFL needs to step in and get rid of Jimmy Haslam. He's an incompetent, disgraceful buffoon who has no business being in the league.
- Quarterback: Brian Hoyer played well in limited action, but he's not the long-term answer. The Browns need to find their first franchise quarterback. Perhaps they can do so by drafting Johnny Manziel No. 4, which most people seem to think will happen.
- Running Back: The Browns looked like fools when trading away Trent Richardson, but they apparently were geniuses all along. Still though, this team has nothing at running back. A second-round pick could be used on a back.
- Wide Receiver: Brad Nessler dubbed Greg Little "Mr. Reliable" during a Thursday night broadcast. Nessler probably didn't watch any Cleveland games; otherwise he would've seen Little drop countless passes. Cleveland needs a new No. 2 wideout. A slot option must be acquired as well. Davone Bess' hands were even worse. I wonder if Nessler calls Bess "Mr. very Reliable."
- Two Inside Linebackers: D'Qwell Jackson has been released. Craig Robertson was awful this past season. Fortunately for the Browns, they'll have lots of options for inside linebackers on Day 2 of the 2014 NFL Draft.
- Two Safeties: Re-signing or franchising T.J. Ward would fix one of the spots. The other must be an upgrade in free agency or the draft. Tashaun Gipson didn't play very well in 2013.
- Right Guard: Shawn Lauvao is a free agent, but he needed to be upgraded anyway. Both he and Oniel Cousins stunk it up at this position.
- Center: Retaining stud center Alex Mack is a priority. He'll need to be re-signed. Transition tagged Alex Mack
- Cornerback: Buster Skrine isn't terrible, but there's room for improvement across from Joe Haden. Depth is needed here anyway.
- Kicker: Billy Cundiff is a free agent. Re-signed Billy Cundiff
- Punter: Spencer Lanning was just 28th in net punting last year.
Follow me @walterfootball for updates.
2014 NFL Free Agent Signings:
Cleveland Browns Free Agents:
Salary Cap: TBA.
Alex Mack, C, Browns. Age: 28.
Transition tagged by Browns (can match any offer)
Alex Mack is a top-five NFL center in his prime. He needs to be paid accordingly.
T.J. Ward, S, Browns. Age: 27.
Known for knocking out Rob Gronkowski for the year with a torn ACL and MCL, T.J. Ward is a top safety. He thrives in run support and doesn't have any weaknesses. He won't be 28 until December.
D'Qwell Jackson, ILB, Browns. Age: 30.
Signed with Colts (4 years, $22 million)
D'Qwell Jackson, 31 in September, has struggled in run support over the past few seasons, but has been strong in coverage. He has also applied solid pressure on the quarterback as a blitzer. Jackson can still play all three downs, so he should serve as a decent starter somewhere.
- Shawn Lauvao, G, Browns. Age: 26.
- Chris Owens, CB, Browns. Age: 27.
- Billy Cundiff, K, Browns. Age: 34. -- Re-signed with Browns (1 year)
- Fozzy Whittaker, RB, Browns. Age: 25.
- Willis McGahee, RB, Browns. Age: 32.
- Oniel Cousins, G, Browns. Age: 30.
- Davone Bess, WR, Browns. Age: 28.
NFL Free Agent Tracker:
QB | RB | FB | WR | TE | OT | G | C | DE | DT | OLB | ILB | CB | S | K/P | FA Grades | FA Rumors
NFL Free Agent Tracker - March 11
2014 NFL Mock Draft - March 11
Fantasy Football Rankings - March 10
2014 NBA Mock Draft - March 5
2015 NFL Mock Draft - March 2
NFL Picks - Feb. 2
© 1999-2013 Walter Cherepinsky : all rights reserved
2 5 9