Charlie had some breaking news Wednesday afternoon, where he wrote about a potential NFL Draft Trade involving the Jets and Browns. There are details on what the Jets want via the link, but the crux of it is that Cleveland is trying to move from No. 12 to 6 to acquire Mitchell Trubisky.
This deal makes a lot of sense for both squads. The Browns reportedly want both Trubisky and Myles Garrett, and this would allow them to eat their cake and eat it, too, to quote a former NFL running back. The Jets, meanwhile, have a ton of holes and need as many selections as possible.
In the wake of this news, I thought that I'd compile a quick, reactionary mock draft and also post a poll to gather what people thought about this potential swap. You can find my six-round 2017 NFL Mock Draft here, but this is what a mock would look like if the Browns and Jets traded:
1. Browns: Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
2. 49ers: Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
3. Bears: Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
4. Jaguars: Jonathan Allen, DE/DT, Alabama
5. Titans: O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
6. Browns: Mitchell Trubisky, QB, North Carolina
The Browns get both players they want in this scenario, but as the report says, they'll wait until draft day to make this deal just in case Trubisky is taken earlier than No. 6.
7. Chargers: Jamal Adams, S, LSU
8. Panthers: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
9. Bengals: Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford
10. Bills: Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
This is the first non-Jets, non-Browns pick that changes. Trubisky is off the board, but the Bills can still land the top cornerback in this class, so I doubt they'd complain.
11. Saints: Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan
12. Jets: Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
So, what do the Jets do at No. 12? I figure they would take a player they'd consider at No. 6, but almost certainly could get at No. 12. Mike Williams qualifies. Williams should be available, and he would cure the team's receiving woes in the wake of Brandon Marshall's departure. Other players who make sense include Reuben Foster, Gareon Conley and Derek Barnett.
13. Cardinals: Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama
14. Eagles: John Ross, WR, Washington
15. Colts: Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
16. Ravens: Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama
17. Redskins: Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State
21. Lions: T.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin
22. Dolphins: David Njoku, TE, Miami
23. Giants: Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt
24. Raiders: Kevin King, CB, Washington
25. Texans: Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech
26. Seahawks: Obi Melifonwu, S, Connecticut
27. Chiefs: Forrest Lamp, G, Western Kentucky
28. Cowboys: Adoree Jackson, CB, USC
29. Packers: Tyus Bowser, DE/OLB, Houston
30. Steelers: DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame
31. Falcons: Jordan Willis, DE/OLB, Kansas State
32. Saints: Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU
Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't list the 33rd pick, which the Jets would potentially acquire:
33. Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan
This could be a variety of prospects, ranging from David Njoku (if available), to Corey Davis (if a receiver isn't taken at No. 12), to Budda Baker, to Quincy Wilson, to Jarrad Davis, to Garett Bolles. There are tons of options, and the Jets could even move down again.
Potential Jets-Browns Trade Poll
What do you guys think? Who wins this trade if the Jets acquire the top picks in the second and fourth rounds?
@Walterspickshavegottenworsethelasr3years If I had 20,000 I'd bet u in a Heartbeat SAM DARNOLD goes in the top 5! Hopefully to my CLEVELAND BROWNS!!!!! He will be the next great NFL QB! and Better than any of the 2017 class!