NFL Picks - Feb. 5
2017 NFL Mock Draft - Feb. 5
2016 NFL Mock Draft - Feb. 4
2016 NBA Mock Draft - Feb. 2
NFL Free Agents
Fantasy Football Rankings - Jan. 15
2011 NFL Offseason Pages
More 2011 NFL Offseason Pages:
DAL / NYG / PHI / WAS /
CHI / DET / GB / MIN /
ATL / CAR / NO / TB /
ARZ / SEA / SF / STL /
BUF / MIA / NE / NYJ /
BAL / CIN / CLE / PIT /
HOU / IND / JAX / TEN /
DEN / KC / OAK / SD /
Divisional Rival History:
Dallas Cowboys: I guess the days of the Eagles beating the Cowboys 44-6 are long gone, huh? Dallas whipped Philly thrice in 2009, and gave QB Dog Killer all he could handle in the lone matchup between the starters last season.
New York Giants: The Eagles have taken the past six matchups, including the Miracle at the New Meadowlands.
Washington Redskins: Philadelphia swept the series the past two years.
Features to be Posted This Offseason:
- 2011 NFL Draft Grades (Pick-by-Pick NFL Draft Grades as well - Live on Draft Day!)
- Detailed season preview
- Fantasy football projections
- Positional rankings
- Daily updates on free-agent signings
2011 NFL Free Agent Rankings
2011 NFL Free Agent Rankings Coming Soon
2011 NFL Free Agent Signings:
Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, Raiders. Age: 30.
Signed with Eagles (5 years, $60 million; $25 million guaranteed)
I don't need to tell you that Nnamdi Asomugha is one of the top cornerbacks in the NFL. Every team in the league will be interested in signing him this offseason.
Jason Babin, DE, Titans. Age: 31.
Signed with Eagles (5 years, $28 million; $5-6 million guaranteed)
Jason Babin recorded 12.5 sacks in 2010. However, his previous high was five sacks back in 2006. Is he just a one-hit wonder?
Cullen Jenkins, DE/DT, Packers. Age: 30.
Signed with Eagles (5 years, $25 million)
Cullen Jenkins dominates the line of scrimmage when he's on the field. Unfortunately, Jenkins is often injured; he has missed 17 games in the past three years.
Steve Smith, WR, Giants. Age: 26.
Signed with Eagles (1 year, $4 million; $2 million guaranteed)
Steve Smith is an outstanding possession receiver; he caught 107 balls for 1,220 yards and seven touchdowns in 2009. Unfortunately, he suffered a nasty knee injury in December and may not be ready for the start of the 2011 season.
Ryan Harris, OT, Broncos. Age: 26.
Signed with Eagles (1 year)
A young, decent, zone-blocking right tackle, Ryan Harris struggled in Josh McDaniels' new offense. Harris will probably be heavily pursued this spring, though he's been injured a lot in the past two years.
Vince Young, QB, Titans. Age: 28.
Signed with Eagles (1 year)
Vince Young is stupid and immature. That's what it comes down to. Young has immense talent and wins games against crappy teams, but he'll never lead a team deep into the playoffs until he improves the mental aspect of his game and takes football more seriously. I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Phillip Hunt, DE/OLB, CFL. Age: 23.
Signed with Eagles
Phillip Hunt led the CFL in sacks with 16 last year. The last CFL pass-rusher to come into the NFL was Cameron Wake, but as far as this signing goes, the Eagles should be happy with half of Wake's production from Hunt.
Evan Mathis, G, Bengals. Age: 29.
Signed with Eagles
Evan Mathis is a talented guard, but can't stay healthy. Cedric Benson really missed him this season.
Ronnie Brown, RB, Dolphins. Age: 29.
Signed with Eagles (1 year)
Beginning in Week 4, Ronnie Brown failed to rush for more than four yards per carry in all but one game. He's still an effective pass-catcher out of the backfield, so he'll sign on as a reserve somewhere.
- Derek Landri, DT, Panthers. Age: 27. -- Signed with Eagles
- Anthony Hargrove, DT, Saints. Age: 28. -- Signed with Eagles
- Rashad Jeanty, OLB, Bengals. Age: 28. -- Signed with Eagles
- Jarrad Page, S, Patriots. Age: 26. -- Signed with Eagles
- Derrick Locke, RB, Kentucky. Age: 22. -- Signed with Eagles
- Cedric Thornton, DE/DT, Southern Arkansas. Age: N/A. -- Signed with Eagles
- Donald Lee, TE, Packers. Age: 31. -- Signed with Eagles (1 year)
- Johnnie Lee Higgins, WR, Raiders. Age: 27. -- Signed with Eagles (1 year)
Philadelphia Eagles Free Agents:
Salary Cap: No cap.
QB Eagles No. 7. Age: 31.
Franchised by Eagles
QB Eagles No. 7 still has his elite athleticism and arm strength. He also still has his inability to make multiple reads and recognize the blitz. He turns 31 in June, so you have to wonder how much longer he'll maintain his elusiveness.
Quintin Mikell, SS, Eagles. Age: 30.
Signed with Rams (4 years, $28 million)
A Pro Bowler who excels both in both run support and pass coverage, Quintin Mikell will be offered a big contract this offseason.
David Akers, K, Eagles. Age: 36.
Signed with 49ers (3 years)
Eagles fans need to get over David Akers' two playoff misses. He's still one of the top kickers in the NFL. His field goal percentages the past three years: 82.5, 86.5, 84.2.
Stewart Bradley, ILB, Eagles. Age: 27.
Signed with Cardinals
Stewart Bradley really struggled in coverage this past season, but that's understandable because he was only a year removed from ACL surgery. He'll move to strongside linebacker in 2011, assuming he re-signs with the team.
Sav Rocca, P, Eagles. Age: 37.
Signed with Redskins
The aging Sav Rocca averaged 43.8 yards per punt, with about a third of his attempts pinned inside the 20.
Jerome Harrison, RB, Eagles. Age: 28.
Signed with Lions
Remember that torrid stretch Jerome Harrison enjoyed at the end of the 2009 season? It's amazing that he started only three games this year. Harrison is a very effective second running back.
- Max Jean-Gilles, G, Eagles. Age: 27. -- Signed with Bengals (1 year, $1.15 million)
- Leonard Weaver, FB, Eagles. Age: 28.
- Ernie Sims, OLB, Eagles. Age: 26. -- Signed with Colts
- Akeem Jordan, OLB, Eagles. Age: 26. -- Re-signed with Eagles
- Nick Cole, G/C, Eagles. Age: 27.
- Victor Abiamiri, DE, Eagles. Age: 25.
- Reggie Wells, G, Eagles. Age: 30.
- Omar Gaither, ILB, Eagles. Age: 27. -- Signed with Panthers
- Antoine Harris, S, Eagles. Age: 29.
- Eldra Buckley, RB, Eagles. Age: 26. -- Tendered by Eagles
- Ellis Hobbs, CB, Eagles. Age: 28. -- Announced retirement
The first-round loss was disappointing, but many believed that this would be a rebuilding year for Philadelphia. The Eagles have some glaring holes on their roster - particularly on the offensive line and back seven of the defense - but they should be able to take care of most of their needs this offseason and make another Super Bowl run in 2011.
Eagles sign WR Steve Smith
Lions sign RB Jerome Harrison
Eagles sign DT Anthony Hargrove
Eagles sign DT Derek Landri
Eagles sign OT Ryan Harris
Eagles sign RB Ronnie Brown
Eagles sign S Jarrad Page
Bengals sign G Max Jean-Gilles
Colts sign OLB Ernie Sims
Broncos acquire DT Brodrick Bunkley from Eagles for 2013 late-round pick
Eagles sign G Evan Mathis
Eagles sign DT Cullen Jenkins
Eagles re-sign OLB Akeem Jordan
Eagles cut RB Noel Devine
Eagles sign CB Nnamdi Asomugha
Eagles sign TE Donald Lee
Eagles sign WR/KR Johnnie Lee Higgins
Cardinals sign ILB Stewart Bradley
Panthers sign ILB Omar Gaither
Eagles sign QB Vince Young
Cardinals acquire QB Kevin Kolb from Eagles for CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and 2nd-round pick
Eagles sign DE Jason Babin
49ers sign K David Akers
Eagles cut FB Leonard Weaver
Redskins sign P Sav Rocca
Eagles sign RB Derrick Locke
Rams sign S Quintin Mikell
Eagles sign DT Cedric Thornton
Eagles tender RB Eldra Buckley
Eagles sign OLB Rashad Jeanty
Eagles franchise QB Eagles No. 7
Eagles transition tag K David Akers
Eagles sign DE Phillip Hunt
- Right Tackle: Clay Matthews humiliated Winston Justice in Philadelphia's playoff loss. With QB Dog Killer set to become the Eagles' quarterback for the next five or so years, the front office will have to find an upgrade for his blind side. Gabe Carimi and Nate Solder will be options at No. 23 overall in the 2011 NFL Draft. Signed Ryan Harris
- Right Guard: More protection on the right side; Max Jean-Gilles is a free agent, but needed to be upgraded anyway. Signed Evan Mathis; drafted Danny Watkins, Julian Vandervelde and Jason Kelce
- Two Cornerbacks: A starter and a top reserve are needed. Dimitri Patterson was torched frequently late in the season, while an injured Ellis Hobbs announced his retirement. Philadelphia will have plenty of promising cornerbacks to choose from in the second round this April, including Brandon Burton, Curtis Brown and Johnny Patrick. Signed Nnamdi Asomugha; traded for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie; drafted Curtis Marsh
- Two Outside Linebackers: The Eagles will only need help at weakside linebacker if they re-sign Stewart Bradley. Ernie Sims really struggled in coverage this past season. There will be plenty of options in Rounds 2-4. Drafted Casey Matthews, Greg Lloyd and Brian Rolle; signed Rashad Jeanty
- Defensive Tackle: Philadelphia is pretty soft up the middle, starting at the defensive tackle position. Signed Cullen Jenkins, Derek Landri and Anthony Hargrove
- Strong Safety: Quintin Mikell is due for a big contract this offseason. The Eagles typically don't retain free agents who are 30 or older, so they may be looking for a new strong safety this offseason. Drafted Jaiquawn Jarrett
- Defensive End: Brandon Graham tore his ACL in December, so he may not be ready for the start of the season. Jason Babin expressed interest in re-joining his former defensive line coach. Signed Jason Babin and Phillip Hunt
- Fullback: It's a shame, but Leonard Weaver's career could be over because of a nasty injury. Drafted Stanley Havili
- Running Back Depth: Jerome Harrison is a free agent, so the Eagles need some depth behind LeSean McCoy. Drafted Dion Lewis; signed Ronnie Brown and Derrick Locke
2011 Philadelphia Eagles Analysis: It didn't work for the Miami Heat, and it's probably not going to work for the Dream Team. Football is a team sport, and the Eagles are essentially a group of Pro Bowlers who haven't been able to practice much because of the lockout.
It'll be shocking if Philadelphia doesn't win its division. It could make it as far as the NFC Championship, or perhaps even the Super Bowl. But ultimately, individuals don't win championships; teams do.
Projection: 12-4 (1st in NFC East)
2011 Fantasy Football Rankings
More 2011 NFL Season Previews
*** 2011 NFL DRAFT GRADES, OFFSEASON NEEDS BELOW COMMENT BOARD ***