@Mason Curry Thanks Mason. I'll try and take that into account on my next version. I wish Walter would expand the player database and add more rounds. Oh well, I guess the draft is like 10 months away. :)
This is Matt McGuire's NFL Draft blog, where he'll talk about the NFL Draft, anything that has to do with football and whatever else is on his mind. Send Matt an e-mail here: [email protected].
All other e-mail, including advertising and link proposals, send to: [email protected]
Posted April 24, 2009
100 Reasons Why I Love the NFL Draft
I love the NFL Draft because...
1. Players working their entire lives for their dream, and their dream comes true.
2. When their dreams come true, Roger Goodell hands them a jersey, takes some pictures...
3. ...And sometimes he is so happy, he cries. You gotta love it.
4. The draft debates that take place online among the draftniks. Complete epicness.
5. The Draft Day shockers.
6. You get to say "I told you so" after the draft.
7. You have to say "I am an idiot" after the draft.
8. It is such a unique event.
9. The fans at the draft are awesome; the energy they bring can be felt over the television.
10. The Jets fans are always hysterical.
11. This video.
12. Scouting players and projecting them to the NFL.
13. The risers and fallers on Draft Day that no one sees coming.
14. Examining the theories of game tape versus measurables.
15. There are more impactful players in the NFL Draft per year than in MLB, NHL, and NBA Drafts combined.
16. Of the anticipation that comes with the draft.
17. Every year it's funny to see that Todd McShay just doesn't have a clue.
18. Mock drafts are the new NCAA brackets.
19. Hearing the fans at the draft yell, "OHHHHHHHHHHH" after a shocking pick.
20. In 2009 - Erin Andrews FTW!!!!
21. Mike Mayock debacles Jamie Dukes.
22. Chris Berman can host an event such as the draft unlike anyone else.
23. The Draft Day trades can be so unpredictable.
24. The draft unites college and pro sports unlike any other event.
25. I am blessed to offer my opinion and analysis on WalterFootball.com.
26. Trying to figure out the truths and smokescreens from rumors is ridiculously hard, but fun to debate.
27. My head is spinning this time of year with all the possibilities, but ultimately a great draft analyst sticks to their guns.
28. Going out on a limb can be very rewarding...
29. ...Or it can be very stupid.
30. Debating team needs in the NFL is so original compared to any other sport.
31. The WalterFootball.com forum users are the best on the Internet.
32. The Draft has become very much an "X" generation thing.
33. NFL Draft theory is completely different from any other draft.
34. I get great feedback from my articles and radio appearances.
35. I get terrible feedback from my mock draft by team homers (hey, it keeps me honest).
36. Seeing other message boards call you an idiot, then two months later you nailed their draft pick range.
37. Sometimes NFL teams are more inept at drafting than I would be.
38. Sometimes NFL teams make completely ridiculous picks that turn out to be outstanding in hindsight.
39. Watching film and grading players is so fun.
40. Watching film and grading players is very tiring, yet necessary.
41. Studying NFL Draft history can tell you everything you need to know...
42. Then again, studying NFL Draft trends can turn on you.
43. Hearing fans call Merrill Hodge a moron for saying Vince Young and Matt Leinart shouldn't be first-round picks is hilarious.
44. Hearing draftniks say "Mel Kiper has lost it" is also hilarious because he called the No. 1 pick in the draft 3-and-a-half months before it happened.
45. Mike Mayock has that arrogant swagger, but quite frankly, he's earned it.
46. Seeing a talented quarterback drop on Draft Day is sad, yet very entertaining.
47. Debating the draft sleepers is very intriguing...
48. As is the draft busts.
49. Hearing everyone call you crazy for saying DeSean Jackson is a top-10 talent makes you feel good...
50. ...Then again, that Andre Woodson prediction has not quite worked out the way I thought it would (but don't give up on him!)
51. Everyone thinks mock drafts show the best analysts, but sometimes they are wrong.
52. Everyone thinks mock drafts show the best analysts, but sometimes they are right.
53. Reflecting on your preseason predictions can be very revolting.
54. It makes me feel good seeing everyone overrated Combines and Pro Days.
55. "Tape doesn't lie" - Monte Kiffin.
56. You can just feel "it" this time of year leading up to the draft.
57. Divisional championships and future Super Bowls are on the line.
58. Trying to see through the forest of an NFL career can be difficult, but you better bring it on the forums.
59. NFL Network versus ESPN ... choose at will (unless you don't have a choice).
60. The NFL Draft preseason is intertwined with the free agency period, which is better than watching basketball.
61. Every year Emmitt Smith writes a mock draft for WalterFootball.com, and h-h-h-he write good.
62. It is funny to hear two conflicting reports about the same team from the same newspaper (Cleveland Plain Dealer FTL)
63. Sitting back and seeing every knee jerk reaction from the media is pretty pathetic.
64. Sitting back and seeing every knee jerk reaction from the media makes you ridiculously nervous about your mock.
65. Does it get any better than seeing PuppyPuncher debacle the entire WalterFootball.com forum by himself?
66. Switch it up: I hate the draft because all of these football analysts don't have a clue and shouldn't even be allowed to comment on something they have been studying for the past month.
67. The Draft Day veteran player trades are always interesting.
68. Ted Ginn Jr. over Brady Quinn... yeah I crapped my draftnik pants.
69. Darrius Heyward-Bey over Jeremy Maclin... you better get ready to crap your pants.
70. Having sports agents and NFL veterans talk about how great your Web site is at the Senior Bowl makes it all worth it.
71. 1 a.m. debates with Walter about whom the Rams and Raiders are taking never gets old... sorry, Walter.
72. NFL Draft >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NBA Playoffs + MLB regular season.
73. I think it will be funny to see NFL teams use Mike Mayock 's mock draft against him...
74. ...Because they tell him whom they are taking. Maybe they lie this year?
75. My draft food is always wings and nachos.
76. Getting a few extra hours of sleep on Draft Day gets you prepared...
77....Then again, I loved the tradition of starting at noon. Curse you, Roger Goddell!
78. My NFL Draft skills translate to the NBA. Derrick Rose No. 1 - I told you all along.
79. The Mark Sanchez/Matt Stafford debate at the Senior Bowl between Scott Wright, Chris Steuber and me was epic.
80. It is funny to see Steve Young get beat down by Kiper.
81. NFL Draft commercials give me goosebumps.
82. Let's not forget, Jamie Dukes campaigned for Pacman Jones last year...he is going 0-for-2 with Andre Smith.
83. It's funny to see people hype up Alex Smith, but then hate on Aaron Rodgers.
84. Knowing there is little substance to several consensus draft debates.
85. Seeing Mike Mayock break down game film - it doesn't get much better than that.
86. Nevermind. Listening to Mel Kiper break down a prospect is simply phenomenal and will never be matched.
87. The ESPN presentation of the draft is paralleled by nothing.
88. You have to love seeing it in the players' eyes when they get on stage at Radio City.
89. Reading Philadelphia Eagles message boards after their first pick is made...you can't make this stuff up.
90. I am looking forward to Frank Caliendo's future impersonation of Mel Kiper.
91. Deion Sanders and Keyshawn Johnson are very underrated analysts during the draft...
92. Jamie Dukes and Todd McShay - not so much.
93. Mel Kiper has the greatest hair in the universe.
94. There is always that one draft pick in the first round no one sees coming.
95. After a pick is made, ESPN simply kills it with their video production and Kiper.
96. Fans will always be eating crow (Mario Williams).
97. Fans are sometimes very much right (Warren Sapp).
98. Did I mention how cool it is to see dreams come true?
99. Thinking of 100 reasons on why you love the Draft is pretty hard.
100. The Draft unites the fans of 32 NFL teams, college and pro fans, and we all have so much optimism on Draft Day - it is the greatest sporting event in the world.