+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam Newton, the Entertainer; the Icon

Walter is offline Administrator 1000% USDA Young Stallion

Cam Newton, the Entertainer; the Icon

Auburn QB Cam Newton told SI's Peter King Tuesday that he sees himself "not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon."

Responding to a question about his limited experience, Newton also tells Yahoo's Dan Wetzel: "Not to sound arrogant, but what I did in one year others couldn't do in their entire collegiate careers." Together, the two quotes may put a screeching halt to Newton's upward momentum. Teams clearly have concerns about Newton's priorities and character as well as his team of handlers. The mentality that fostered entertainment icon LeBron's "Decision" may play in the NBA, but it won't fly with NFL scouts and coaches. If Newton is so dead-set on reaching icon status, he should study the careers of Brian Bosworth and Ryan Leaf.

Hello, more mobile version of Matt Leinart!

2. Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Auburn QB Cam Newton told SI's Peter King Tuesday that he sees himself "not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon."

Responding to a question about his limited experience, Newton also tells Yahoo's Dan Wetzel: "Not to sound arrogant, but what I did in one year others couldn't do in their entire collegiate careers." Together, the two quotes may put a screeching halt to Newton's upward momentum. Teams clearly have concerns about Newton's priorities and character as well as his team of handlers. The mentality that fostered entertainment icon LeBron's "Decision" may play in the NBA, but it won't fly with NFL scouts and coaches. If Newton is so dead-set on reaching icon status, he should study the careers of Brian Bosworth and Ryan Leaf.

Hello, more mobile version of Matt Leinart!
    Groan!

3. Join Date
    Nov 2007

Already?! He's not even on a team yet?

This rubs me the wrong way.
    WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Plays:

Waiting for Football Season

Walter is offline Administrator 1000% USDA Young Stallion

Quote Originally Posted by Vbsiena View Post
    Already?! He's not even on a team yet?

This rubs me the wrong way.
    I know. This pretty much cements his bust status.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008

Confidence is one thing, arrogance is another. What will happen when that arrogance comes crashing down when Newton struggles to adapt to a pro-style attack?

6. Join Date
    Jul 2010

Dumb, but still less aggressively retarded than Tebow.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009

Yet another example of something not to say before you get drafted. I am already concerned about work ethics (especially for my QB) and you talk about life outside of football? I know players have lives and stuff, but he's talking about a second job practically. That's not what I want to hear if I am an NFL owner.

Michael Floyd > Justin Blackmon

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Diggety View Post
    Still less offensive than Tebow.
    Really? Tebow was just a hard working guy that the media suckled on for way too long. Newton is deliberately trying to get attention and pump himself up.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2010

what's a keflex anyway?

10. Join Date
    Jul 2010

Wasn't Tebow filming political ads around this time last year?

Anyway, I can't get worked up over this. Nothing wrong with talking big, just gotta back it up. If he does, good for him. If not, well, he wasn't good enough. If he believes in himself that much, I don't see how that's a bad thing.

+ Reply to Thread