+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Schefter: JaMarcus weighs in at 290

1. You can't defend taking a punter or kicker in the first round, you just can't. Even if they are a GOAT

2. Join Date
    Aug 2008

And Al did it twice that I know of.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    You can't defend taking a punter or kicker in the first round, you just can't. Even if they are a GOAT
    What? Al Davis did the right thing when he got Ray Guy in the first round.
    Proof? With him we won 3 Superbowls and surely always gaining field thanks to Ray's punting was one of the main keys to that.

I also defend taking him Seb Janikowski in the first round. It took him a few years to become the league's best kicker, but once that he got there, we secured the advantage in tight games probably for a decade more.

Personally i am absolutely against any sort of 'positional value'. Whenever you think that you can draft a player that is outstanding compared to his competitors at the position, just take him as soon as you can. I agree with Al that BPA is the only drafting criterion that makes sense.
    What I don't agree with him is the way he evaluates BPA. BPA must be chosen on the base of actual game tape and results, not according to an imaginary potential that you see on the combine's stats.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    You can't defend taking a punter or kicker in the first round, you just can't. Even if they are a GOAT
    There are so many 1st rd busts that if you can get a GOAT, it's not a terrible pick.

Just convert Russel to OT.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008

Quote Originally Posted by wraith36444 View Post
    For some reason I really doubt that is the case, Dan.
    Why is why it'd be hilarious if it is the case.
    - Also known as Dan.
    - Also known as the footballclod. www.footballclod.wordpress.com

6. Its a waste of resources though. It's the same sloppy and wasteful ideals that Undead-Al has clutched so close to his chest that make them a floundering franchise.

Compare Janikowski with the average (middle-ish kicker in each category) and just for funsies, Mr. Irrelevant, Ryan Succop

Overall FG Percentage:
    *Excluding players with <9 FGA
    FG%
    Janikowski - 90% (Ranked 5th) 26 FGM
    Stephen Gostowski - 84% (Middle) 26 FGM
    Succop - 86% (Ranked 12th) 25 FGM

"But Sasquatch, It's Janikowski's huge leg that makes him the best kicker in the league! You're a dummy!"

50+ FG Percentage (Minimum 4 attempts, no reason why 4, just seemed to weed a lot of guys who don't have the leg and only got 1-3 tries due to game circumstances)
    Janikowski - 6/8 75%
    Kris Brown (the middle) 2/4 50%
    Ryan Succop 2/5 40%

Clearly Janikowski is one of the best at the game in this department (also in 40-49), although he was behind Josh Brown (6/7) and Rob Bironas (5/6)

"But Sasquatch, what about kickoffs? Field position is a critical part of the game!"
    Kickoff Average (minimum 40 KO's)
    Janikowski - 65.8 (3 ranks lower than middle)
    Josh Brown - 66.2 (Middle)
    Succop - 61.9

3.9 yards better on average then Succop, over the course of a season Seabass would have netted 226.2 yards if they kicked the same amount.

Touchback percentage -
    Janikowski - 29.3 (5th)
    Josh brown - 15.4 (Middle)
    Succop - 9.7

There's a rather large disparity the top 5 nearly doubling the average in the league, and dwarfing Mr. Succop. Over the course of a season you're talking about 1 more Touchback per game by Janikowski, which is handy, I guess.

Quick hits -
    Janikowski (17th overall) gives you about 14.1 more yards of field position than Succop (256th) along with an extra touchback or so a game. All while making 4% more field goals, which equates to 1 and a half per year, if they both make 40 attempts (1.2 in 30 attempts)
    Best KO average - Pat McAffee (222nd overall)
    Best Touchback % - Michael Koenen (UFA)
    Best FG% - Neil Rackers (169th overall)
    "Middle" KO average - Josh Brown (222nd overall)
    "Middle" Touchback % - Josh Brown (222nd overall)
    "Middle" FG% - Stephen Gostkowski - (118th overall)

Starting to see a pattern yet?

In response to the argument "So many first round draft picks bust" I have to say that's a weak argument. Even with how many prospects bust there's still a value affixed to the pick used. They're the currency of the front office if you will, The 17th pick has a value of 950, nearly 900 more than that of the pick that was used on Stephen Gostkowski.

The reason the Raiders are unsuccessful is because Al Davis doesn't know how to budget his draft picks or his salary cap.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009

Anyone else think Jamarcus is actually playing us for fools? I mean he has 52 million dollars, right? Maybe he was in high school planning to just work on arm strength so one day the Raiders would draft him and he would be set with money? Like never work again go retire on some island? But now he has the money he sees no point in working. I think that is what is REALLY going on.
    "I think people should be allowed to do anything they want. We haven't tried that for a while. Maybe this time it'll work. " - George Carlin

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Anyone else think Jamarcus is actually playing us for fools? I mean he has 52 million dollars, right? Maybe he was in high school planning to just work on arm strength so one day the Raiders would draft him and he would be set with money? Like never work again go retire on some island? But now he has the money he sees no point in working. I think that is what is REALLY going on.
    As cool as that would (maybe) be, the sad truth is that he's a complete slob who somehow lucked into having a great throwing arm.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2008

hey maybe after 3 Twinkies Jamarcus will be going into Rex Ryan are of fatness.

10. That's a lot of cheeseburgers.
    ~

+ Reply to Thread