+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Draft Power Rankings

1. Post Draft Power Rankings

I was reading through the thread about new playoff teams and noticed everyone has pretty much the same teams that they think are going to miss and some that are going to make, I decided to try and think how i though the season would shake out and decided just to do a post draft power rankings to make it clearer, comments are welcome if you disagree or agree.

The I Can't Wait For 2010 Teams
    32. St. Louis Rams - The Rams made a wise choice drafting Jason Smith at #2 in the draft, but that is just one step in what will be a long rebuilding process for the Rams. Bulger is a liability right now at the QB position and despite his monster contract needs to be replaced. The run game may improve with Smith and Jason Brown but it is unlikely it will be a significant enough improvement to help them compete in 09. Defensively they have problems all over the place, most notably the D-Line.

31. Cleveland Browns- Wow, what a difference a year makes in the NFL. After a promising 07 campaign the Browns were given a zillion prime time games and didn't fail to bore America to tears in almost every one. The Offense lost Kellen Winslow, has a disgruntled drop machine at WR, and badly needs some stability at the quarterback position. Cleveland also desperately needed help in their front 7 yet failed to address what I thought was a glaring need in the draft. Overall, i think this team is going to struggle big time in the AFC North and Mangini will be exposed as an inept coach.

30. Oakland Raiders - In the NFL, if you consistently fail on draft day you will inevitably fail in the season. Al Davis is living in his own world, and needs to listen to his scouts if he wants to see this team compete. Sadly, i don't think Oaklnd will turn their current situation around, until Al Davis dies. The Raiders are a running joke for all NFL fans not residing in Oakland. ESPN really dropped the ball in not having a camera on safety Michael Mitchell on draft day, his reaction would have been priceless ("The second round, this is a joke right, i was a stretch to get drafted at all"). The Raiders need to hope Russel progresses (doubtful) and Darrius Heyward Bey proves us all wrong (doubtful), otherwise the only reason to watch this trainwreck is to admire the best corner in the game, Nnamdi Asoumagua.

29. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Josh Freeman was a bad pick in my opinion (sorry Matt), he is really a project and a huge risk that will tie the Buccaneers hands if teyt are in position to draft Bradford next year (big possibility). I don't like Earnest Graham and Warrick Dunn to carry the load this season and the wide reciever core is obviously a question as well, can Antonio Bryant repeat his performance??? I just don't see a potential for this offense to be explosive at all in 09 and their defense struggled to get to the QB in 08, i think this is the year Tampa really sucks.

28. Denver Broncos - Denver really shot itself in the foot this offseason by getting rid of a franchise QB for Kyle Orton and picks. With Mike Shanahan gone this offense will have to rely on Knowshown Moreno to solidify the runn ing game to help a pass game that will undoubtedly suffer. The wide recievers are there but will they have the ability to succeed with Orton throwing the ball? The Broncos may compete with Detroit for worst defense honors, because the talent on that side of the ball is nonexistent.

The Long Shots
    27. Detroit Lions - Matt Stafford has a rocket arm, but will he be able to thrive outside the pocket because he will be chased by defenders all season. Detroit apparently has no intention in building from the inside out as their trenches leave a lot to be desired. If the line suprises this offense has potential though, because of Calvin Johnson and Kevin Smith along with the additions of Stafford and Pettigrew. Defensively, Detroit will struggle against the run and the pass again but the additions of Foote, Buchanan, Henry, and Louis Delmas should stop the bleeding to some extent.

26. Cincinatti Bengals - On a pure talent standpoint, it can not be argued that the Bengals had a fantastic draft, but will Maluaga and Smith get over their character issues remains to be seen. A healthy and upright Carson Palmer could revitalize an offense that struggled to be relevant in 08. Chad Eighty-Five is passable if you have strong enough ear plugs and Cedric Benson is serviceable. The defense could surprise if Rivers comes back strong and the rookies make solid contributions. I think the secondary of Cincinatti is underrated and will play a big part if they surprise.

25. New York Jets - Ahh the Jets...they are tough to place but i think they will struggle, Thomas Jones is playing on borrowed time and whoever wins the QB battle will struggle. The wide recieving corps is mundane, their biggest strength offensively is their line which is solid. Defensively, they have the potential to be good, with big Kris Jenkins manning the line and the addition of Bart Scott and Lito Sheppard. Ultimately i don't think their defense is good enough to carry them in the AFC East.

The Potential Surprises
    24. Seattle Seahawks - With the return of Hasselbeck and the free agent pickup of Houshmanzadeh the passing game becomes instantly better. The run game will still suck with Jones and Morris, which will hinder the offense. Defensively the Seahawks linebackers are among the best in the game, with AAron Curry joining Tatapu and Hill. Their line is solid, but the real question mark will be the secondary. If the secondarty plays adeqautely, and the passing game improves the Seahawks could win the West in 09.

23. Kansas City Chiefs - I completely disagree with Walt havin the Chiefs at 32 in his rankings. Dwayne Bowe is a stud reciever and Matt Cassell should improve the passing game. I also really like Jamaal Charles to break out this year, which would open the passing game even more. The one drawback of course is the loss of Tony Gonzales. Defensively, I think the Chiefs have gotten some pieces in place. I like Tyson Jackson and what he brings to the table, and along with some veteran linebackers, he will help stop the run this year. The Chiefs major weakness is their pass rush which was horrible last year. Their success hinders on someone stepping up and being a threat to get to the QB.

22.Jacksonville Jaguars - Jacksonville is alot like Tennessee or Pittsburgh in that their identity is to wear you down over the game. They want to run the ball down your throat and beat you up on defense. Unfortunately, last year the Jaguars were a sheep in wolve's clothing, they were a soft team trying to be physical. However they improved in the offseason by adding 3 tackles to shore up the Line. Jones Drew will be his usual effective self behind the improved line and Torry Holt will help draw attention away from the run. The offense hinders on David Garrard's ability to play efficently (07) rather than erratically (08). Defensively they need to get back to their physical nature. They had truble stopping the run last year, and I don't know if they did enough to address that. I like their secondary alot, and if they can get a good pass rush they will be oppurtunistic.

Absolutley Average
    21. Buffalo Bills - The Bills really didn't do anything in my mind this offseason to improve their offensive uni. They added TO, but will he be motivated enough in Buffalo to fight off age for another year. Lee Evans is legit, and Marshawn Lynch is a top back, but will they be able to succed without a Left Tackle. Trent Edwards is decidedly average, he is a game manager, he cannot be relied on to win games by himself. I think the gaping hole at tackle negates Lynch's effectiveness. Defensively Buffalo is in better shape. Aaron Maybin will help improve the pass rush on a solid D-Line. The secondary is good, but the linebacker unit could be a problem if Crowell goes down.

20. Arizona Cardinals - I think the super bowl loss curse hits Zona hard this year. The Cardinals do not seem like a team with a lot of chemistry between the Dockett and Bolden fiascos. Their strength will once again be the passing game with Larry Fitzgerald leading the charge, if Anquan Boldin stays they will be the top duo in the league again. Chris Wells can't be as bad as Edge was lat year, so that could be a major boost for Zona. Defensively they have promise if they retain Dockett. Wilson, Cromartie and Dansby are all impact players.

19. New Orleans Saints - This is a pretty easy team to peg. They will pass the ball well with Brees and their stable of recieving options. The question is can they finally get a good enough contribution from the run game to be unstoppable on offense. Defensively they need Malcolm Jenkins immediately. Vilma can play and Ellis could potentially improve but the defense should be bad enough to keep the Saints around 7-9. This team cannot win on the road.

18. Green Bay Packers - Aaron Rodgers now has a full year under his belt so he should be evn better in 09. Jennings and Driver are a solid 1-2 punch at reciever. Ryan Grant sucks and the line is average at best, so the run game will strugglw which will keep thepackers from winning close games again this year. Defensively the Packers added BJ Raji and Clay Matthews but their cornerbacks are old and thier safeties are inconsistent. I don't see this team making the playoffs because they will have an average unit at both sides of the ball.

17. Chicago Bears - **** the Bears, their are too many Beras fans on this site. Now that we have that out of the way, I don't like the Bears because I don't trust their O-Line and their recievers are horrible. The Tight End combo is good and Cutler will help to an extent, but this offense will be average. Defensively, the Bears are aging quickly and are fading back towards the rest of the NFL. They will be 8-8.

16. Indianpolis Colts- Without Peyton Manning this team would be horrible, that being said he is still here. Anthony Gonzales needs to fill the vois at the #2 reciever slot, to keep the pass game chugging along, and Donald Brown needs to make an immediate impact to help a dying run game. I don't think those things will happen, and thus the Indianapolis offense will struggle. On dfense Indy will be relying on a talented secondary and Dwight Freeney to keep them in games.

15. Miami Dolphins - The Dolphins schedule is much tougher this year, so they will backtrack a little this year. Pennington is a smart accurate QB and Ronnie Brown is a workhorse, along with a capble recieving core, and a solid line the offense will score points this year and keep Miami in games. Defensively Miami will struggle this year. They are relying heavily on rookies in the secondary, and Joey Porter will regress. I think Miami will falter becuase they are not their yet defnsively and face a harsh schedule.

The Dark Horse
    14.San Fransisco 49ers- The 49ers will win the west this year. I think that Hill will play capably enough behind a solid line that the Offense will play well. Crabtree will have a huge year, Davis will improve at TE, Frank Gore will remain healthy and rush for 1400 yards. Defensively this unit has a lot of potential with their captain Patrick Willis and a defnsive minded, high enthusiasm coach in Mike Singletary. They win 10 games this year.

Not Quite Good Enough
    13.New York Giants - The Giants were exposed at the end of last year. Without Plaxico, Eli is a below average quarterback, and the loss of Derrick Ward will sting enough that the offense will falter. Hakeem Nicks needs to be huge for this team to repeat as NFC east champs. On D, the get Umenyoira back and Tuck will be good, but their secondary and linebackers are a question mark. I think they will miss the playoffs because of the NFC East.

12. Houston Texans - Defensively, I love this team. They continue to add to their defense with Cushing. Their front 7 is as good as any in football. If their secondary plays well, they are going to be a force in the AFC. Offensively they have an elite WR in Andre Johnsom, but lack a threat to help him. Matt Schaub is injury prone and they lost backup Sage Rosenfels. Steve Slaton is exciting but is not an ideal every down back.

11. Dallas Cowboys - I think the Cowboys will improve becuase expectations for them are not so high coming into this season. Getting rid of TO will hurt on the field because they were already weak at reciever, but it will also help because he was a distracttion with his constant demands for the ball. Romo should now be able to just throw to the best option. The running game will improve with the return of Felix Jones and the O-Line should redeem itself after a down year. Defensively they can certainly get to the quarterback with Ware...but struggle against the big play both with on the ground and through the air. Their secondary will be their achilles heel.

10. Baltimore Ravens - The Ravens have a pedestrian offense. I said this last year and was attacked for it but its true. Flacco is solid but he is still learning on the fly, Le'Ron Mclain is a workhorse who should suceed behind an underrated line. Do I even need to mention the Defense, it will be back with many of the usual suspects. If their corners hold up they will be a brick wall again in 09.

9. San Diego Chargers - Phil Rivers is a fantastic starting QB. To me he has all the intangibles and leadership qualities to win a Super Bowl in this league. Chambers and Gates will be effective targets for him in the pass game, and Tomlinson and Sproles headline a dcent run attack behind a capable line. Defnsively they could be great with the Return of Merriman and the addition of English. If they can get to the QB their is no reason the Chargers can'r make a playoff run. They are a lock to win the AFC West.

The Contenders
    8. Washington Redskins - Albert Haynesworth and Brian Orakpo will solve the Redskins defensive issues in a big way this year. I think the Redskins D will be among the best if they get capable play from their linebackers. Offensively they are set at RB with Portis and Betts, but their super bowl hopes lie in the hands of Jason Campbell. This is a do or die year for him.

7. Minnesota Vikings - If they get Favre bump them up to 3 on this list, but i think they contend without him. I, unlike Walt, like Rosenfels. He needs to improve his decision making but he is an upgrade over Travaris Jackson. Berrian will be helped by the addition of playmaker Percy Harvin. Harvin's character issues are largely overblown by the media (Walterfootball.com) and he is a good pick by the Vikings. Adrian Peterson is a man amongst boys. Defensively they atck up well in the NFC with their big question being at cornerback.

6. Carolina Panthers - Jake Delhomme is overrated. At this point he is just average and often loses games with his mistakes as Panthers fans are well aware. That being said I love the Deangelo Williams- Jonathan Stewart combo at RB, and the offensive line is elite. Defensively they need to hope Peppers plays at hios full potential and they should be fine. Jon Beason is one of the premier playerfs in the NFL and deserves more recognition.

5.Atlanta Falcons - This team is loaded offensively. Matt Ryan has the poise and skills of veteran. Roddy White is one of the top recievers in the league, and the scary part is he will improve now that Tony Gonzales will be catching balls in Atlanta. Michael Turner showcased his elite talent last year and that should continue behind a young talented line. The question marks on this team are all Defense. Can they get to the passer besides Abraham, and do they have a linebacker to stop the run. Those concerns will make or break Atlanta in 09.

4. Tennessee Titans - According to the readers of Walterfootball.com Tennessee was just Albert Hayneswoth and a supporting cast last year. I think that assesment is flawed. Tennesse beat super bowl winners Pittsburgh 31-14 without him last year, in a game when DT Jason Jones had 3 sacks. They have an elite secondary, with the age of Nick Harper being the one concern. Bulluck and Thornton lead a solid linebacking corps, and th D-Line has a solid rotation with Tony Brown, Jones, Marks, Vanden Bosch and others. Offensively they added Nate Washingtom and Kenny Britt to aid Collins. Thier biggest stength, however, is a run game featuring the explosve Chris Johnson, runnin through an elite O-Line.

3. Philadelphia Eagles - The Superbowl window is closing for this team and I think they know it. Donovan McNabb is hungry to prove his critic wrong and Jermy Maclin will team with Desean Jackson to give him targets in the pass game. Brian Westbrook is the consumate professional and is electric when healthy. Their defense is strong against the run with Patterson and Bunkley,and against the pass with Samuel and Brown. They are the favorites in The NFC for me, because I think they will be motivated and they have the talent.

2. Pittsburgh Steelers - Theres not much to say here, with Pittsburgh because you know what your're gonna get. Roethlisberger is a playmaker and has weapons in the recieving corps like Holmes and Miller to move the chains. Their question is the run game with Parker being joined by Mendenhall, and an Offensive line that is below average. Defensively they are the gold standard with Polamalu and James Harrison leading the charge.

1. New England Patriots - If Tom Brady is healthy the pass game will be unequaled. Moss and Welker are great complements to one another and Brady is a hall of fame QB with a competitive drive like Michael Jordan. The run game is pedestrian and needs to improve to help Brady, but it is not vital as proved in 07. The defense will be above average with an elite D-Line and young playmakers like Mayo and Merriweather. They are my preseason favorite to take the Lombardi trophy.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Titans09 View Post

29. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Josh Freeman was a bad pick in my opinion (sorry Matt), he is really a project and a huge risk that will tie the Buccaneers hands if teyt are in position to draft Bradford next year (big possibility). I don't like Earnest Graham and Warrick Dunn to carry the load this season and the wide reciever core is obviously a question as well, can Antonio Bryant repeat his performance??? I just don't see a potential for this offense to be explosive at all in 09 and their defense struggled to get to the QB in 08, i think this is the year Tampa really sucks.
    1) Get rid of Jon Gruden's conservative play calling and horizontal offense
    2) Add in Jeff Jagodzinski's zone blocking scheme and vertical offense
    3) Substitute checkdown Jeff Garcia for bigger armed Luke McCown or Byron Leftwich
    4) Josh Freeman will sit the bench this season & he had no talent around him at KSU and played in a pro style offense. You greatly minimize the risk of drafting a QB in the first round if he sits the bench for the first season or two. Remember, drafting a QB with a high upside and good intangibles (reportedly good work ethic by Mayock and Pewter Report) is not a bad thing
    5) No chance the Bucs draft a QB in the first 3 rounds next year and will only draft a backup for Freeman...he is the franchise
    6) Warrick Dunn isn't on the team anymore . They released Dunn and signed Derrick Ward = BIG upgrade

Tampa will suck next year, but I think they will have a much more explosive offense because McCown has a MUCH bigger arm than Jeff Garcia...his TD% can't possibly be worse than Garcia's.

Tampa will suck because: A) They have no DL, B) Inexperience/injury risks at OLB, C) Ronde Barber is a starting CB in a scheme he does not fit in with.
    Haters gonna hate.
    Week 1 CFB Capping: +11.4 units
    Week 2 CFB Capping: +10.4 units (10-4 ATS)
    Week 3 CFB Capping: -5.4 units (11-13 ATS)
    Week 4 CFB Picks: +3.7 units (7-9 ATS)

3. Quote Originally Posted by Matt McGuire View Post
    5) No chance the Bucs draft a QB in the first 3 rounds next year and will only draft a backup for Freeman...he is the franchise
    I phrased that badly, what i meant was by selecting Freeman (I agree he is the franchise for them now) they will ahve their hands tied and Not be able to draft Bradford, that is why I didn't like the Freeman choice

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009

yeah but you can't pass up on a QB you like when you need one badly just because you "might" be in position to draft a guy who "might" be a better option next year.

Especially considering they took a guy with great upside who can sit for a year.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009

How did we not improve our offense? The reason our offense sucked because Lee Evans was the only WR that wasn't garbage outside of the slot.

Teams would double Lee, put 8 in the box to stop Marshawn, and when that happened, we couldn't do s**t. Our run blocking was absolute garbage. Derrick Dockery sucked, Duke Preston was downright awful, Peters was a lazy piece of crap and we had 2 competent o-lineman the entire year. When our RG, Brad Butler was injured, we couldn't move the ball to save our lives.

We signed a good center in Geoff Hangartner, and drafted 2 of the top interior lineman in the draft. Our o-line will be MUCH improved, even without a top LT. Walker will be fine there.

Signing Owens is huge because now we have more than 1 guy that can catch along the sideline. Drafting Shawn Nelson was also huge.

We also plan to run a lot more no huddle.

Calling Trent an average game manager is crap. Last year was his first season starting. He also lead quite a few 4th quarter comebacks... so to say he can't be clutch is just plain wrong.

Our offense will be massively improved.

Also, Crowell isn't even on the team anymore. He's on the Bucs. We drafted Nic Harris to be an OLB. Posluszny and Mitchell are great already too.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Ansley View Post
    yeah but you can't pass up on a QB you like when you need one badly just because you "might" be in position to draft a guy who "might" be a better option next year.

Especially considering they took a guy with great upside who can sit for a year.
    Yeah....I don't think Freeman is going to be a good QB in the NFL, he's a major risk (I may very well be wrong)...Bradford "will" be better than Freeman... You "might" consider using less quotations in the future

7. Join Date
    Sep 2008

17. Chicago Bears - **** the Bears, their are too many Beras fans on this site.
    The Bears are a gud football team in first place.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009

Yeah....I don't think Freeman is going to be a good QB in the NFL, he's a major risk (I may very well be wrong)...Bradford "will" be better than Freeman... You "might" consider using less quotations in the future
    ok

"

9. Quote Originally Posted by theblackdahliamurder View Post
    Our offense will be massively improved.

Also, Crowell isn't even on the team anymore. He's on the Bucs. We drafted Nic Harris to be an OLB. Posluszny and Mitchell are great already too.
    My bad on the linebacker part...you right about that although Harris is a question.......I think you're overestimating the impact TO is going to have, he's 37 and he likes playing in the spotlight so he might not be overly motivated in Buffalo..I think Trent Edwards has a low ceiling

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007

I phrased that badly, what i meant was by selecting Freeman (I agree he is the franchise for them now) they will ahve their hands tied and Not be able to draft Bradford, that is why I didn't like the Freeman choice
    Who is to say Bradford will be a better pro than Freeman? That is far from a lock. Plus, Freeman has a ton more upside than Bradford because of his arm strength...and having a strong arm is not a bad thing.

You don't understand dude. Tampa has never had a good, young QB. We have never EVER had good quarterback play.

I don't feel like you understand how big a pick that was for our organization. Look at how unpopular Tampa a as a team is.

We have a reputation, and earned it, as being a boring team to watch because we don't ever have a good QB.

Just look at all the starting QBs Tampa has had since I have been a fan of the Bucs

-Trent Dilfer
    -Eric Zeier
    -Shaun King
    -Brad Johnson (one good season)
    -Rob Johnson
    -Brian Griese
    -Chris Simms
    -Tim Rattay
    -Bruce Gradkoski
    -Jeff Garcia (most overrated QB in NFL from 2007-2008)
    -Josh Johnson
    -Luke McCown (has potential next season)

I don't think you understand how important this pick was. Freeman is already the most talented QB in the history of the Buccaneers organization maybe except Doug Williams. You look at the highly talented, young OL he has in front of him, the talent at receiver (Kellen Winslow, Antonio Bryant...I like Sammie Stroughter in the slot as a rookie, and runningback (Ward/Graham)...Tampa is going to have a good amount of talent for Freeman to step in and be the starter in 2010.

He has a good coaching staff and a smart GM that won't rush him in before he isn't ready. Their jobs are not on the line by any means. The Glazers are patient owners. This team is not going to mess up Freeman's development by playing him when he isn't ready.

Freeman is in a great position to succeed. Does he need to work on his progression reads, decision making, and accuracy? Yeah, but he came from a team with no talent around him. I'd like to see what Mark Sanchez could do at KSU.

I will defend this Freeman pick to my death.
    Haters gonna hate.
    Week 1 CFB Capping: +11.4 units
    Week 2 CFB Capping: +10.4 units (10-4 ATS)
    Week 3 CFB Capping: -5.4 units (11-13 ATS)
    Week 4 CFB Picks: +3.7 units (7-9 ATS)

+ Reply to Thread