@Wolfy5db It depends how far your #1 defense can carry you guys. Lynch is a rookie, and he is behind no OL. That is a problem, but you'll definitively be competitors again next year. That D is scary, and really didn't lose much.
This mock was compiled on JULY 15, 2008, and uses a traditional-league format and scoring.
In case you're wondering, I have no idea who these people are. I just decided to jump into one of ESPN's mock drafts. In the future, I'll list the results of actual fantasy drafts I take part of.
(1) Team Swierczewski - LaDainian Tomlinson RB
(2) Team Newberry - Brian Westbrook RB
(3) Team mathias - Adrian Peterson RB
(4) Team Toca - Tom Brady QB
(5) Team Smith - Joseph Addai RB
(6) Team Jefferson - Marshawn Lynch RB
(7) Team Hinkson - Steven Jackson RB
(8) Team H - Marion Barber RB
(9) Team Kelly - Frank Gore RB
(10) Team Vogt - Clinton Portis RB
(11) Team martinez - Peyton Manning QB
(12) Team WalterFootball.com - Randy Moss WR
ANALYSIS: The biggest surprise, as you can probably immediately tell, is that Brian Westbrook went ahead of Adrian Peterson. Looks like someone has been reading this site!
Actually, Team Newberry expressed his disdain about having the No. 2 pick, citing that he hates Adrian Peterson. I'll probably be just as disgruntled if I have the second selection in any of my drafts. For more on this, check out my 2008 Fantasy Football: Players to Avoid.
More surprises: Team Taco chose Tom Brady over Joseph Addai; Steven Jackson falls to No. 7; and Frank Gore drops to No. 9. Meanwhile, Peyton Manning was a major reach at 11. Team Martinez could have landed Randy Moss and then Manning at No. 14 if he really wanted the Colts quarterback. As soon as Manning was chosen, Team Newberry let everyone know that Manning is out 4-6 weeks.
As for my pick, I can't believe Randy Moss fell to No. 12. I would have taken him at eight, provided Tomlinson, Westbrook, Jackson, Addai, Peterson, Gore and Brady were all gone.
(13) Team WalterFootball.com - Ryan Grant RB
(14) Team martinez - Larry Johnson RB
(15) Team Vogt - Terrell Owens WR
(16) Team Kelly - Willis McGahee RB
(17) Team H - Reggie Wayne WR
(18) Team Hinkson - Braylon Edwards WR
(19) Team Jefferson - Willie Parker RB
(20) Team Smith - Laurence Maroney RB
(21) Team Toca - Jamal Lewis RB
(22) Team mathias - Maurice Jones-Drew RB
(23) Team Newberry - Andre Johnson WR
(24) Team Swierczewski - Brandon Jacobs RB
ANALYSIS: I'm pretty confident Team Newberry would have pooped his pants if this were a real draft. Andre Johnson, arguably the second-best receiver in fantasy football, dropped all the way to No. 23. Unbelievable. I doubt Team Newberry is still complaining about having the second pick.
As bad as the Johnson pick was, Willie Parker might have been worse. I guess Team Jefferson didn't get the memo that Parker will share carries, including all red-zone touches, with Rashard Mendenhall. I wouldn't even consider Parker until Round 5.
Meanwhile, Team Newberry wasn't so high on my selection of Ryan Grant. In fact, he told me that he traded Grant away for Jay Cutler, Earnest Graham, Joey Galloway and a three-DVD set of Herm Edwards motivational videos in one of his other leagues. Someone else (I think it was Team Vogt) said Team Newberry made a great trade.
Why? Grant had less than 200 carries, and still managed 956 yards, 30 receptions and eight touchdowns. Running behind a great offensive line, Grant registered an amazing 201 rushing yards against the Seahawks in the playoffs. Then again, those Herm Edwards motivational videos could probably go for $20 on eBay...
(25) Team Swierczewski - T.J. Houshmandzadeh WR
(26) Team Newberry - Drew Brees QB
(27) Team mathias - Larry Fitzgerald WR
(28) Team Toca - Ronnie Brown RB
(29) Team Smith - Tony Romo QB
(30) Team Jefferson - Steve Smith WR
(31) Team Hinkson - Marques Colston WR
(32) Team H - Darren McFadden RB
(33) Team Kelly - Reggie Bush RB
(34) Team Vogt - Plaxico Burress WR
(35) Team martinez - Thomas Jones RB
(36) Team WalterFootball.com - Chad Johnson WR
ANALYSIS: T.J. Houshmandzadeh before Chad Johnson? Drew Brees before Tony Romo? What is going on here?
Team Newberry hated the Romo selection. His reasoning? "Tony Romo doesn't care about football. He only cares about dating Jessica Simpson."
Sadly, most football fans probably agree with him.
At any rate, I have Chad Johnson as my No. 7 receiver and No. 19 overall player. I got him here as a No. 11 wide out and a No. 36 overall selection. Team Newberry is probably thinking, "Chad Johnson doesn't care about football. He only cares about pissing off Carson Palmer and Marvin Lewis." Sadly, that's probably true.
(37) Team WalterFootball.com - Carson Palmer QB
(38) Team martinez - Torry Holt WR
(39) Team Vogt - Michael Turner RB
(40) Team Kelly - Ben Roethlisberger QB
(41) Team H - Jason Witten TE
(42) Team Hinkson - Brandon Marshall WR
(43) Team Jefferson - Wes Welker WR
(44) Team Smith - Antonio Gates TE
(45) Team Toca - Anquan Boldin WR
(46) Team mathias - Edgerrin James RB
(47) Team Newberry - Earnest Graham RB
(48) Team Swierczewski - Derek Anderson QB
ANALYSIS: Dilemma: I need a second running back, and I love Jonathan Stewart. However, there's a chance Stewart will still be available when I pick at the bottom of Round 5. As for Carson Palmer, he definitely won't be there.
I decided to gamble and made Palmer my choice. Looking at the other squads, nine of the 11 teams have at least two running backs. With guys like Edgerrin James, Earnest Graham, Matt Forte, Fred Taylor, Rudi Johnson and LenDale White still on the board, there's a good chance Stewart will last 22 more picks.
As for the rest of Round 4, I was sad to see that Jason Witten was chosen before Antonio Gates. Witten is my No. 1 tight end, and I was secretly hoping I could grab him and Stewart during my next go-around. But I'll admit - that was a bit of a pipe dream.
Oh, and Wes Welker before Anquan Boldin? Let's just move on before I insult Team Jefferson again.
(49) Team Swierczewski - Roy Williams WR
(50) Team Newberry - Matt Forte RB
(51) Team mathias - Matt Hasselbeck QB
(52) Team Toca - Fred Taylor RB
(53) Team Smith - Santonio Holmes WR
(54) Team Jefferson - Rudi Johnson RB
(55) Team Hinkson - Jonathan Stewart RB
(56) Team H - Marc Bulger QB
(57) Team Kelly - Kellen Winslow TE
(58) Team Vogt - Tony Scheffler TE
(59) Team martinez - LenDale White RB
(60) Team WalterFootball.com - Julius Jones RB
ANALYSIS: I hate you, Team Hinkson! I hate you sooo much, it, it the, it, flame, flames, FLAMES on the side of my face, breathing, breathe...heaving breaths, heaving....
OK, OK, OK... this was only a mock draft... Only a mock... breathe... breeeaaattthhheee...
I HATE YOU, TEAM HINKSON! BAH!!!!
(61) Team WalterFootball.com - Selvin Young RB
(62) Team martinez - Donovan McNabb QB
(63) Team Vogt - Calvin Johnson WR
(64) Team Kelly - Tony Gonzalez TE
(65) Team H - Lee Evans WR
(66) Team Hinkson - Matt Schaub QB
(67) Team Jefferson - Greg Jennings WR
(68) Team Smith - Jay Cutler QB
(69) Team Toca - Hines Ward WR
(70) Team mathias - Roddy White WR
(71) Team Newberry - Dwayne Bowe WR
(72) Team Swierczewski - Marvin Harrison WR
ANALYSIS: OK, let's regroup. I still need a second running back, third receiver and tight end. The following running backs were available: Julius Jones, Justin Fargas, Kevin Smith, Felix Jones, Chester Taylor, Deuce McAllister, DeAngelo Williams, Ahman Green, Ahmad Bradshaw and Selvin Young.
I decided to go with my two top-rated guys at the position, Julius Jones and Young. I really like Young (he's my No. 13 running back), and in a perfect world, I could probably count on him being available at the bottom of Round 8. But I can't make the same mistake. Team Hinkson would just screw me again. As for Jones, I had to take more of a sure thing just in case the risky Young flops.
Let this be a lesson, folks. If you REALLY like a player, don't be afraid to draft him a bit too high. If I took Stewart back in Round 4, I could have used these two selections on Jay Cutler, Dwayne Bowe or Tony Gonzalez. Meanwhile, Young might have been available two rounds later. Instead, I'm stuck with a mediocre running back and the riskiest player in my Top 50.
(73) Team Swierczewski - Donald Driver WR
(74) Team Newberry - Dallas Clark TE
(75) Team mathias - Chris Cooley TE
(76) Team Toca - Heath Miller TE
(77) Team Smith - Justin Fargas RB
(78) Team Jefferson - Kevin Smith RB
(79) Team Hinkson - Philip Rivers QB
(80) Team H - Santana Moss WR
(81) Team Kelly - DeAngelo Williams RB
(82) Team Vogt - Vernon Davis TE
(83) Team martinez - Joey Galloway WR
(84) Team WalterFootball.com - Todd Heap TE
ANALYSIS: Vengeance!!! Team Hinkson just drafted a quarterback coming off a torn ACL. Haaa!!!
I really don't get Dallas Clark over Todd Heap. But if this were a real, non-touchdown fantasy league, I'd have to send Team Newberry a thank-you card. Heap is a steal at No. 84.
Worst pick in this fantasy mock draft thus far: Team Kelly choosing DeAngelo Williams. Williams, a Kevin Faulk/Kenny Watson clone, will barely get any carries this year.
(85) Team WalterFootball.com - Jerricho Cotchery WR
(86) Team martinez - Chester Taylor RB
(87) Team Vogt - Laveranues Coles WR
(88) Team Kelly - Chris Chambers WR
(89) Team H - Eli Manning QB
(90) Team Hinkson - Jeremy Shockey TE
(91) Team Jefferson - Felix Jones RB
(92) Team Smith - Kevin Curtis WR
(93) Team Toca - Bernard Berrian WR
(94) Team mathias - Chargers D/ST D/ST
(95) Team Newberry - Deuce McAllister RB
(96) Team Swierczewski - Alge Crumpler TE
ANALYSIS: I don't get how Jerricho Cotchery fell either. Cotchery is my No. 21 receiver, so to recap, I have:
The top receiver in fantasy football (Randy Moss)
A legitimate WR1 (Chad Johnson)
A solid WR2, obtained in Round 8 (Jerricho Cotchery)
Other than the whole Jonathan Stewart mishap, I'm pleased with how this draft turned out.
I'd like to replace DeAngelo Williams as the worst pick in the fantasy mock draft thus far with Team Newberry's selection of Deuce McAllister. McAllister is coming off two knee surgeries, one of which was to repair a torn ACL. He's actually ranked last in my 2008 Fantasy Football Rankings: Running Backs.
But Team Newberry doesn't care about torn ACLs! He only cares about getting three quarters for a dollar (see Ryan Grant trade).
(97) Team Swierczewski - Ahmad Bradshaw RB
(98) Team Newberry - Javon Walker WR
(99) Team mathias - Shaun Alexander RB
(100) Team Toca - David Garrard QB
(101) Team Smith - Seahawks D/ST D/ST
(102) Team Jefferson - Bobby Engram WR
(103) Team Hinkson - Anthony Gonzalez WR
(104) Team H - Donald Lee TE
(105) Team Kelly - Ahman Green RB
(106) Team Vogt - D.J. Hackett WR
(107) Team martinez - Donte' Stallworth WR
(108) Team WalterFootball.com - Rashard Mendenhall RB
ANALYSIS: Team Newberry announced that he had something to do and left the mock, right after his selection of Javon Walker. Typical. Most "fantasy addicts" act like they know everything, but when it comes to the later rounds, they read off familiar names in their fantasy mags. Chances are this "something to do" was enter another fantasy mock draft and act smart for the first eight rounds.
Sigh... Team Mathias, now responsible for the worst pick in this mock, took Shaun Alexander, who isn't even in the league anymore.
Meanwhile, I liked Team Kelly's choice of Ahman Green. I don't have Green ranked high, but getting a starting running back in Round 9 is a steal. Remember, Jamal Lewis was available at a similar juncture last year.
As for my pick, Rashard Mendenhall could turn out to be a great fantasy option if Willie Parker gets hurt again. If not, he'll still garner all of the end-zone carries. This kinda, sorta makes up for the Jonathan Stewart mishap, but not really.
(109) Team WalterFootball.com - Vincent Jackson WR
(110) Team martinez - Jake Delhomme QB
(111) Team Vogt - Benjamin Watson TE
(112) Team Kelly - Giants D/ST D/ST
(113) Team H - Reggie Brown WR
(114) Team Hinkson - Jerious Norwood RB
(115) Team Jefferson - Sammy Morris RB
(116) Team Smith - Bears D/ST D/ST
(117) Team Toca - Jason Campbell QB
(118) Team mathias - Jon Kitna QB
(119) Team Newberry - Patrick Crayton WR
(120) Team Swierczewski - Reggie Williams WR
ANALYSIS: Hey, guess what? Almost everyone followed Team Newberry out of this mock draft as if he were some cult leader.
Vincent Jackson was the best player available on my board, but if I had the opportunity to do this draft over again, I probably would have taken Kurt Warner. I was pretty surprised to see him go off the board in Round 11. Thanks a lot, Team Newberry.
This round was littered with potential busts. Jake Delhomme is coming off Tommy John surgery. Ben Watson is always hurt. Jerious Norwood won't get any carries with Michael Turner in the backfield. Jason Campbell is learning a new offense. Jon Kitna's stats will dwindle in a more balanced offense.
(121) Team Swierczewski - Isaac Bruce WR
(122) Team Newberry - Kurt Warner QB
(123) Team mathias - Owen Daniels TE
(124) Team Toca - Packers D/ST D/ST
(125) Team Smith - Tatum Bell RB
(126) Team Jefferson - Derrick Mason WR
(127) Team Hinkson - Alex D. Smith QB
(128) Team H - Aaron Rodgers QB
(129) Team Kelly - Chris Brown RB
(130) Team Vogt - Colts D/ST D/ST
(131) Team martinez - Greg Olsen TE
(132) Team WalterFootball.com - Vikings D/ST D/ST
ANALYSIS: The two backup quarterbacks I was looking at (Kurt Warner and Aaron Rodgers) were both chosen, so I "settled" on my No. 2 ranked defense. I'm still wondering why my new arch rival, Team Hinkson, took Alex Smith over Rodgers, but whatever.
(133) Team WalterFootball.com - Pierre Thomas RB
(134) Team martinez - Nate Burleson WR
(135) Team Vogt - Leon Washington RB
(136) Team Kelly - Jerry Porter WR
(137) Team H - Kenny Watson RB
(138) Team Hinkson - Sidney Rice WR
(139) Team Jefferson - Ronald Curry WR
(140) Team Smith - Jeff Garcia QB
(141) Team Toca - Vince Young QB
(142) Team mathias - Bryant Johnson WR
(143) Team Newberry - Ben Utecht TE
(144) Team Swierczewski - Jabar Gaffney WR
ANALYSIS: Guess who landed the guy with the most upside in this round? Pierre Thomas isn't on anyone's radar, but he could garner most of the carries in New Orleans this season, making him a huge sleeper. You could argue that the hated Team Hinkson's Sidney Rice has a bit more upside, but that would just upset me.
I made this point in my 2008 Fantasy Football Sleepers page. Why take a lackluster player like Jeff Garcia or Jabar Gaffney when you can take a shot on someone who could be the next surprise star? If Thomas doesn't work out, I can pick up someone with just as much fantasy potential as Garcia and Gaffney.
(145) Team Swierczewski - Matt Leinart QB
(146) Team Newberry - Chris Johnson RB
(147) Team mathias - Antwaan Randle El WR
(148) Team Toca - Ladell Betts RB
(149) Team Smith - JaMarcus Russell QB
(150) Team Jefferson - Steelers D/ST D/ST
(151) Team Hinkson - Derrick Ward RB
(152) Team H - Amani Toomer WR
(153) Team Kelly - Arnaz Battle WR
(154) Team Vogt - Ted Ginn Jr. WR
(155) Team martinez - Patriots D/ST D/ST
(156) Team WalterFootball.com - Chad Jackson WR
ANALYSIS: No one to make fun of here. I really like Chad Jackson as a late-round sleeper. If he beats Jabar Gaffney out of the No. 3 spot, which is a very realistic possibility, he'll be able to put up respectable numbers in New England's offense. Read my my 2008 Fantasy Football Sleepers for more information.
(157) Team WalterFootball.com - Ben Obomanu WR
(158) Team martinez - DeShaun Foster RB
(159) Team Vogt - Ricky Williams RB
(160) Team Kelly - Brandon Jackson RB
(161) Team H - Drew Bennett WR
(162) Team Hinkson - Roydell Williams WR
(163) Team Jefferson - L.J. Smith TE
(164) Team Smith - Aaron Stecker RB
(165) Team Toca - T.J. Duckett RB
(166) Team mathias - Cowboys D/ST D/ST
(167) Team Newberry - David Patten WR
(168) Team Swierczewski - Eagles D/ST D/ST
ANALYSIS: Another sleeper receiver for me. Again, I'd rather take these risky high-reward players than proven bums like L.J. Smith and Drew Bennett.
Actually, if I could do this over, I would take Nick Folk with my 14th pick because there's no chance anyone takes Ben Obomanu in Round 15.
(169) Team Swierczewski - Ron Dayne RB
(170) Team Newberry - Nick Folk K
(171) Team mathias - Trent Edwards QB
(172) Team Toca - Darrell Jackson WR
(173) Team Smith - Mark Clayton WR
(174) Team Jefferson - Shayne Graham K
(175) Team Hinkson - Nate Kaeding K
(176) Team H - Stephen Gostkowski K
(177) Team Kelly - James Jones WR
(178) Team Vogt - Robbie Gould K
(179) Team martinez - Kevin Jones RB
(180) Team WalterFootball.com - Brady Quinn QB
ANALYSIS: Damn you, Team Newberry, for taking the top kicker when I could have obtained him a few selections earlier. I'm an idiot.
Brady Quinn has a lot of potential. If Derek Anderson suffers a sophomore slump, Romeo Crennel won't hesitate to make the change to Quinn. If that happens, I'll have a second QB1 on my roster.
(181) Team WalterFootball.com - Mason Crosby K
(182) Team martinez - Phil Dawson K
(183) Team Vogt - Chad Pennington QB
(184) Team Kelly - Josh Brown K
(185) Team H - Buccaneers D/ST D/ST
(186) Team Hinkson - Cardinals D/ST D/ST
(187) Team Jefferson - Tarvaris Jackson QB
(188) Team Smith - Adam Vinatieri K
(189) Team Toca - Jeff Reed K
(190) Team mathias - Rob Bironas K
(191) Team Newberry - Jaguars D/ST D/ST
(192) Team Swierczewski - Lawrence Tynes K
ANALYSIS: Well, I missed out on Nick Folk, but I managed to land my No. 2 kicker, Mason Crosby. I guess I'll live.
Someone who won't be able to live with himself, meanwhile, is my new sworn enemy, Team Hinkson. Because he decided to leave the fantasy mock draft, ESPN's computer decided to give him the Arizona Cardinals defense in the final round. Looks like justice has been served.