Bills Mock Draft:
1. O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama: It would be an ideal situation if Howard were on the board at pick #10, because Tyrod needs weapons and Howard is a generational TE prospect. In my opinion, I would go as far as to say he has a Hall of Fame-level ceiling and would be a no-brainer if still available.
2. Zay Jones, WR, ECU: Not many people realize this, but the Bills hired ECU's wide receivers coach to the same position. That makes this pick pretty obvious if the talented Jones is still available. He would be a great #2 opposite Watkins.
3. Desmond King, CB/S, Iowa: King's production and versatility would be perfect for the Bills, considering their needs at cornerback and safety. They can play him at either spot and he should be a starting-caliber player in the league.
5. Rasul Douglas, CB, West Virginia: Yes, another cornerback. They are very weak at the position right now, which is bad news in a division with Tom Brady. Douglas, like King, was an extremely productive player at WVU who has starting potential and great size as well. He would fit best on the outside.
5. Dalvin Tomlinson, DT, Alabama: Tomlinson is a tough run defender, and we need depth on the interior. He's also smart and a hard worker. I think he could be better than both Alabama DTs taken in last year's draft (Jarran Reed and A'Shawn Robinson) and could possibly take over for the aging Kyle Williams in the future.
6. Brad Seaton, OT, Villanova: They need more competition at right tackle, and Seaton would provide depth at the very least. He has tremendous size at 6'8, 310 lbs and solid athleticism. He is a great sleeper who I think has Pro Bowl potential if he develops, and I think he could actually be an upgrade over the anemic Jordan Mills. He could end up starting at some point this year.
Wow. This is pretty damned good. There's some talk that the Bills are in love with Howard and may be willing to move up a few spots for him.
Solid. My favorite pick is Rasual Douglas in the 5th. That would be exceptional value for his talent. I almost mocked OJ to the Bills in my mock, but really can't see a situation where Cincy passes on Howard. Maybe they swap with Carolina and throw a 5th their way to get him? If not, I think they would be all-in on John Ross. I haven't done any trades in my mocks for about 2 years now, but Bills and Panthers I can see happening if Howard is there. I don't think it's likely that the Jets take Howard at 6, they really need to address Safety as they also have Calvin Pryor hitting FA next year, and they are in great position to draft Evan Engram in the 2nd or even Gerald Everett. I think Jordan Leggett would be an option in the third too.
There are plenty of great TE's at all phases of the draft for the Jets, but landing 1 of Malik Hooker or Jamal Adams should be higher on their priority. I don't think they are a legitimate threat to the Bills drafting Howard, I have Cincy as the bigger threat to draft them. Typically though, teams don't move up from the 10 spot, they move back. So if Howard is gone, and they want to trade out of the spot... David Njoku and pick up a 4th?
You did your homework. Maybe you can take GM Doug Whaley's place who looks to be gone shortly after the draft (see La Confora's latest article). My only disagreement is O.J. Howard (by the way, he doesn't drive a white Bronco does he?). Howard is a dynamic player, but we are on the hook for paying TE Charles Clay $9 Million this year. Due to his contract and the Cap situation, I don't think we can drop him in 2018 either. Mike Williams has been favorably compared to Andre Johnson- run that card up to the podium.
1. Deshawn Watson(QB) : Texans r never known to take risk except last year. They will stick to more secure pick
2. Chidobe Awuzie/Sidney Jones/Quincy Wilson(CB) - Texans need a replacement for Bouye.
3. Montae Nicholson(S) - Texans need upgrade at safety and now they have an opening too.
4. Alex Anzalone(ILB)
4. Will Holden(OT)
5. Wayne Gallman(RB) - to relive some pressure from Lamar Miller
@HoustonTexansSuck I think the Texans are playing it differently this year. Last year was the first year we've seen them trade up and this year I think that trend is continuing in free agency with Osweiler trade and Romo courting.
That said, I think the Texans go QB in rd1- whether that be Watson, Kizer, etc. I'm not as confident that Texans like Trusbisky or Mahomes as first rounders
I could see them going CB in round 2. Kind've weird though bc Joseph is still playing great (as I reread this I'm sure this is what the Jets were saying last year), Kevin Johnson is incredibly underrated, and Kareem Jackson is one of the best slot corners in the league. Seems very "Texans 2012-esque" of them, but who knows.
Nicholson seems like a reach in round 3. Not sure how much I like the idea of taking a safety because I'd prefer to move Joseph and Jackson over. Maybe Justin Evans if he falls? Even then I'm not sure about adding a rookie starter to such a great defense. I guess this would be the time to look at a TE that falls.
Anzalone makes sense as a third linebacker or a coverage backer. Holden or a big, versatile RT in the mold of Derek Newton that can play RG if that doesn't work out would be a decent idea here.
If Wayne Gallman makes it here then I would love him in rd3. I think he would be a steal for the role he would play (ie #2/#3 RB who can pair up Tyler Ervin to form a good 1-2 punch at the backup and to support Miller.
You do realize the Bucs need another safety still right? CONTE & MCDOUGALD WERE ONE OF THE WORSE OVERALL.
Cleveland doesn't need another generic TE and RB in later rounds. The only TE they'd consider is Howard at no.12
Also, they'd likely take Trubisky at 12 if there, because he won't last past the first round.
They were singing the same tune last year. "We don't need Carson Wentz - he's a project. We'll just trade down and grab a surefire franchise QB like DeShaun Watson next year!" Oops.
A lot can happen in a year. If Trubisky does make it to #12, the Browns shouldn't hesitate. One in hand is better than two in the bush - especially when it comes to QBs.
they thought that about Brady Quinn, too
Great mock. I love that Forrest Lamp/GB pick. That's a Ted Thompson pick all the way.
I don't think that O.J. Howard or Trubisky will hang around until #21 and #33. I get that there are some concerns with Trubisky, but he has all the tools. I can't see him getting past CLE and ARI at #12 and #13. Howard is one of the 5 best prospects in this draft, IMO. There isn't a chink in his armor. I wouldn't be shocked to see JAX take him at #4, and his floor is BUF at #10.
Not sure about Hooker at #5. The Jags have a lot of $$ invested in Church and Gipson. Cutting Gipson would mean a $8 million dead money hit. I'm thinking that JAX is targeting Fournette.
The NYJ/Allen fit is iffy. If there's one thing the Jets don't need, it's another 3-4 DE type. But it is the Jets we're talking about, so you could easily be right.
Last nitpick: I don't think T.J. Watt falls to the late 2nd round. His stock is exploding on the heels of his ridiculous Combine showing. There's talk of Watt going as high as the top 15.
Are you seeing Taco Charlton as a 3-4 DE in Arizona? Just curious, because most consider him a 4-3 DE and I actually like him better in an odd front.
Wentz took his rookie lumps on an offense without it's best O-lineman for most of the season, not to mention crap WRs and a pedestrian rushing attack. Wentz showed resilience and flashed big-time arm talent. I think he'll be just fine. I bet the Browns would stay put and take him at #2 if they could have a do-over.
Nobody gives a @#$@ about your @#$@ty mock.
@DawgPound4Lyfe Nice effort. I will tell you I think Njoku is off the table for the Phins because they picked up Julius Thomas in a trade with Jax. Gase worked with Thomas in Denver.
Not sure who they would pick based on who is available in at that point in your mock. Maybe one of the linemen or DBs.
Also, Conley may not be a first-rounder but I doubt he is a third-rounder.
Already looking to the 1st pick in the 2018 NFL Draft!
Didn't come close to the Lions drafting 1) Their needs (DE/LB/CB/RB/TE/S) and the players you selected seems to be the throwaway players you want in a round but don't have anywhere else to put them.
Howard will be a fine TE. But, Detroit spent a 1st (#10)) on a TE years ago that the team believes in. They will not draft another 1st round TE this year.This is just a lazy mock.
He is a special talent ... but not how you describe him. I think he will be outstanding for whichever team is smart enough to grab a big time player
Have another couple of drinks on the Lions Walt, for those awful picks that you made for them.
The first, fourth, and fifth round picks are all non-sensical.
The Lions must absolutely get a pass rusher which you decided to pass on in the first round for a slot corner who also returns kicks. I am okay with Davis and Hunt in the second and third, although I think a good RB could be had in the fourth round, not the third.
Aside from Miles, none of the first 5 picks will be there.
Hope springs eternal Huh?